Tuesday, April 4, 2017

the rainbow cats

I was so excited about my rainbow cats, I sewed them all on April 1st!

This will be a long post, but I'm going to introduce each one individually and show the quilt the fabrics came from...assuming I can find a photo of it...  I'll also link to any blog posts that tell the whole quilt story.


This is from the back of a quilt I made for my niece, Alora.  Her quilt:


This fabric was also used in the top of a charity quilt - the back of that quilt is used later, so you'll see the green flowers again!


This is the border fabric for my APQ blog buddies swap quilt.  Other than on-the-longarm photos, I don't have a photo of this fabric in the quilt yet.  And the quilt...well that was last month's UFO and it's still waiting for me to sew down the binding!  But here's a sneak peek of the quilt!




This fabric was on the back of my PFGE quilt - one of the AQS guild challenges I participated in.  Unfortunately, though this batch of quilts got entered, this batch did not get chosen to be hung.




This fabric is just a tidbit leftover - I think I used it on the back of a dolly quilt years ago.  Blogging buddy Beth sent me a package of cute fabrics to use for dolly quilts and this is one of the few scraps I have left.  It makes me smile and think of Beth, though she hasn't blogged in a long time!


This fabric was purchased along with a jelly roll of Bliss fabric to make the French Kiss pattern.  The borders came out wavy, but it's on my UFO list to fix those borders and get it quilted.  I absolutely love this fabric and it was one of the earliest red and aqua combos I'd seen.




This fabric was put on the back of my niece Hailey's baby quilt.  The front is rather serious and I love the whimsy of this back.  It matched pretty well, too!




This fabric was used on the back of a graduation quilt for my niece Jade.  She loved it and this fabric makes me happy to think of her!  The photo isn't great - thank you sunshine!




This is the back of a quilt I made for a coworker and his wife and their baby, Luciana.  I'm not sure I've blogged about this quilt, but I did share the story of the big sister quilt I made for his other daughter.  I need to blog about the baby quilt, but I'll share the photo here!




Apparently I haven't blogged about this top at all...or I can't find it.  It started out with a charm pack that I won (I think I won it?) and I wanted to make something cool.  I'm not entirely sold on what I ended up with, though my right brain tells me all that white space will be filled with fantastic quilting.  My left brain says "yeah, right, you can't quilt that well"...we'll see.  Anyways, this was border fabric and I love it!  I love fabric with words.  It's probably as much of a problem for me as fabric with dots!




This is the only fabric that does not have a quilt to go with it.  It was a pristine, uncut fat quarter, but I thought it would make a super fun cat.  So I cut into that fabric with no regrets.  And hey, look, dots!


This fabric, though I have no photos to prove it, is one side of a reversible purse/bag I sewed for myself a while ago.  I remember carrying it to my current job when I started back in 2011, so it's been a while.  The bag has since been retired, but I still have scraps of both fabrics!  The other is purple and what is reading as grey here is actually a light greyish purple that coordinates.


This is from my science geek hexie quilt top.  It, too, is on my UFO list for this year!




This was the back of a charity quilt that was donated to the local VA Hospital.  You'll see the green flowers from the first cat in the quilt, too.  That fabric is one of those that plagues my stash...you know, the one you THINK you've used it all and then, oh, look, more!




And last, but not least, is another cat with words on it.  I purchased a jelly roll of this fabric as well as some yardage for borders at the same time as the Bliss fabric, along with a book to make the quilt, Winterberry.  Though it was finished and given to a friend for her 65th birthday a few years ago, I have no photo of the finished quilt.  Nor have I blogged about it, but there's a little blurb about the pattern and book on my "Parade of Tops" page...


So there you have it.  14 cats in all sorts of fun, rainbow-ey, multi-colored fun prints.  Wanna see 'em all together?  Of course you do!


And I was done on April 1st with my color of the month.  Probably a record for me, but I'm okay with that.  I have other stuff to work on...like...ummm...the binding on last month's UFO quilt?  Or maybe quilting this month's UFO?  Or my personal dolly quilt challenge dolly quilt?  Yeah...I think I'd better go sit on the couch and snuggle kitties, I'm so exhausted just thinking about these ideas!


Happy quilting,

Katie

15 comments:

Sandy said...

Well, Katie, that is a lot of cats to finish in one day. I really like your fabric choices, especially the background fabric. It lets the cats star, but definitely keeps things under control. You will have to write about the baby quilt, very pretty, and the Winterberry quilt too. Your cats remind me of Janet Kime's cat quilts. We don't have a cat now, but that really shouldn't stop me from making a cat quilt! Hmmm...

---"Love" said...

Great! I can see the cats now with no problem. What a memory quilt it will be. All of the fabrics are pretty and have served a previous purpose well. The fabric I like best, as a cat, is the yellow one on the right in the third row from the bottom. Those circles look like a cat's eyes, and even a nose, to me anyway. You have been busy,as usual for you! It will be a cute quilt! ---"Love"

a good yarn said...

Love, I've, love your kitty kats and the quilts (most of them) came from! So glad you shared the story of each one and it's original.

Marsha B said...

This was a great post with all the cats and the quilts the fabrics came from. You have some very unique kitties for your quilt, they are all adorable! You got a lot done, that's great way to start April. Enjoy working on your other projects!

Carol R. said...

:) I JUST finished the top of my March UFO. and, as for this month's UFO - well, I forgot that a certain quilt was on the list and started quilting it last month when I just HAD to do SOMETHING on the LA. Of course, that's also when I decided that the tension needed tightening and now I have ROWS of stitching to rippp out :(.

canuckquilter said...

Those cats! They are an eclectic but thouroughly fun bunch! How fun that you have a story for each.

Libby in TN said...

Loved seeing the quilts the scraps came from! I have some of those reappearing fabrics, too. Like mushrooms, they multiply in the dark.

Kathy S. said...

Don't you just love all the memories that go into a quilt? Beautiful projects. Way to use those scraps!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your cats are so much fun! I love how you know where each scrap came from! I think that is the best part of scrap quilting - the reminder of all of your other favorite projects when you see that fabric again.

Ivani said...

All your cats blocks are adorable.You will make a fun and cute quilt with many memories with them.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Your cats look great! It is such a fun project.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing your quilty memories with us. It was WONDERFUL to be able to see the quilts that the scraps spawned from!!

Cathy said...

What a fun post! Thanks for sharing the stories behind the fabrics - we quilters can certainly appreciate that! And plague fabrics - the perfect name for those never-ending fabrics. We all have them. Rather like the Energizer Bunny, only maybe not so cute after the 5th (and 9th, etc) use.....

Magpie Sue said...

Memory Kitties! Terrific!

Cathy said...

What a great (and cute) use of scraps! And oh!...the memories!