Sunday, December 18, 2011

pillow improv

I finally got the binding finished and labels made and sewn onto the Christmas gift quilts, so I started looking at what was next.  (I can't wait to show pictures!)

I thought the blue water-erasable pen was finally out of my niece's embroidery (43 spritzes later), so I decided to get busy making those projects into a pillow for her. 

Then I ironed it...oops...a bit of blue came back, but it was too late then, so I just kept going.  It's not too bad and I'd be willing to bet it will fade in time.

I made it up as I went along...

...add some borders...


...add a back and batting so it can be a bit quilted...


...quilt in the ditch around the embroidery piece...
(...try not to make up too many naughty words to focus at the "walking" foot that doesn't often "walk"...)
(yeah, I had it on right)


...sew the two pieces together...


...uh oh...

(I cut the head of the pin off to get the pillow out - red arrow - and can you see where the pointy side of the pin came out? - blue arrow - yikes!  A few more tools later and I was back in business.)

...stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff...
(darn that stuffing mooshes down fast!)

...Adrian's side...


...my side...


The ric-rac fabric is left over from the binding on her quilt, but shhhh!  She won't know it coordinates for another week.

Her mom works the same place as my hubby, so I think I'll send this to work with him this week.

Now I just need to make kitty toys.  Last Christmas I gave my niece-kitty some homemade catnip toys and short while ago she gave me a thank-you note and mentioned she'd worn them all out.  I think that's a hint and since they're super easy to make, I'll make her another batch.

Happy quilting!
Katie

4 comments:

canuckquilter said...

Darn I hate it when the pin and the needle argue like that! I'm glad you had the tools to rectify that little snarl and were able to finish the pillow. Whate a great way to save your niece's first piece of stitching for her. I'm looking to post-Christmas pics of your gift finishes!

Marsha B said...

The pillow is so cute! I love that you have her work on one side and yours on the other and that it coordinates with her quilt! She will love it! Glad you got the pin out of the machine, too, and didn't hurt yourself in the process. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Ruth said...

That's a very cool idea for the pillow! Love the swirls - real clever and colorful. I have never had trouble getting the blue out, so hopefully it will come out in time. Good idea to make kitty toys too! Keeps them happy for a while. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Beth said...

The pillow is so very cute. I love that her stitching is on it too. She will be so excited!
Glad you were able to get your machine up and running again after the pin break.