Wednesday, October 12, 2011

october ufo finished!

It's early in the month again, but my UFO for October is done already!

If you remember, my mom got me a jelly roll for my birthday last year...


And not quite a year ago, I took a week off work to have a stay-at-home quilt retreat.  The hubby was out of town, so I set up to work in the living room and sewed like mad.

I had seen the Basket Case quilt pattern and liked it and thought these fabrics could be perfect, so let's get out that rotary cutter!



It needed borders and I wanted to do something a little fancier than the original pattern.  And here it stalled out.

This is probably where it would be without Judy's UFO challenge.  But this month she pulled its number, so I sat down and started cutting and sewing.

I knew I wanted a pieced border and, considering the limitations on piece size, I opted for flying geese over applique.  But then should the geese go all the way around, or just part way?


(Emma is helping decide...or something...)

Though I was leaning towards part-way, I let bloggy friends help.  Part way won and I'm glad.  I made enough geese to go all the way around, so now I'll have something interesting to put on the back...if I ever finish it past a top...


So here it is...I guess you'd call that sideways since the longer side is hanging from the clothesline, but otherwise it dragged on the ground...

Finished.
Well, a top finished, and that's all I required of myself for the UFO challenge.

After my last post, I went out and took this photo, along with quite a few others of tops I've been working on and have only shown pieces of.  I'll save those for another post in a few days.

Happy quilting,
Katie

14 comments:

Liriopia said...

Oh, I really like it!

Liri

canuckquilter said...

Well done. I really do like the partial flying geese border. I'll keep checking back for more pics of more tops :)

Marsha B said...

I love the way it turned out! Having the geese just part way makes it really interesting. It is too pretty to leave as a top for too long. It needs finished with a really cool binding!

---"Love" said...

I love it! The white corners give the geese more space to fly! *wink* It also gives my eyes a place to rest. Great quilt! ---"Love"

Beth said...

AHHH. The geese part way around are the perfect finish to a very cool quilt. Great finish!!!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I was hoping that you would go with the geese "part-way" around. I really like the way it turned out - and I agree with "Love" - the white corners give my eyes a place to rest. Good job!!

Lynette said...

I just love how it turned out!!

a good yarn said...

It looks great! Love the fabrics and the layout. The geese placement works really well too. ann :-)

Unknown said...

I think you made a great choice on the border;) You are making such headway on all your projects...good stuff;)
Happy Quilting!

Heather said...

It's beautiful!! I'd say you made the right choice on the border. I love it! ;o)

Jennifer said...

looks great! and the border is perfect...

Donna~~ said...

Neat quilt and perfect border! I hope it doesn't stay just a top--it'll be lovely finished!

Donna~~ said...

I could swear I've already left a comment here, but for some reason it isn't showing up (so sorry if I duplicate) Your border is perfect for the quilt and it is such a neat design--love that over & under. Hope you get it done soon so you can enjoy it--it will be lovely finished!

JudyCinNC said...

I love this pattern from Cluck, Cluck Sew and will be seeking it out. Great quilt and I just happened to have a jelly roll of Kate Spain's Terrain. Great job on the borders also. Judy C