Monday, January 18, 2021

pq 12.2 and the sticks again

Project Quilting has released the next challenge: fussy cutting.

I'm not sure if I will do anything more, but I went to my bin of scraps and found a small piece that was ripe for fussy cutting, and made a quick pincushion.


I do have a larger (almost fat quarter) piece of the fabric, so maybe I'll make a companion tiny table runner or something to go with this, but for now, this where I'm at.  We'll see how the week goes...


I actually created this using the leader-ender method while working on the little blocks from the bag of scraps in the closet - one of the stick projects.  Here are my blocks for the past week:







I think I'm missing one day worth of sewing, but they all start to look the same after a while, and even I am questioning myself if I've sewn that combination of fabrics earlier!  I think I have 11 left, but I spent a chunk of time earlier this week cutting all the remaining fabrics and pairing them up:


I figured out that if I cut just three more, I could have an even 48 blocks.  So I dug into my stash and found a gold that goes nicely (that I will probably never use otherwise) and added it in.  I also raided my stash for my light/background fabric, as that was a limiting factor here.  And again, added in some fabrics that were colors I might not have used otherwise.  No large dent was made, but I feel better about even the small dent.

I also finished sewing the blocks from shirts.  Today the hubby plans to take a nap (flipping his schedule from normal on the weekend to third during the week), so I will take over the design floor (aka living room) when he is doing that.  I'm not sure if I will need to trim the blocks, as some didn't seem to line up as nicely as others, but I'm going to wing it for now.

The third stick, the embroidery stick, I finally remembered to take a few photos:



Her dress is also done now, but of course I forgot to take a photo!  This pattern is actually a freebie on her website, from a stitch-along quite a few years ago.  She did some posts with info about how she stitched things, so I'm following along, but there are already things I would do differently.  This is a learning experience, though, so I'm rolling with it.

And finally, I will share a series of photos called "Why I don't get as much done as I could."







Toby doesn't visit much in my sewing room.  Upstairs (where the sewing room is) has been claimed by Gabby.  And downstairs is Toby's realm.  They tend to chase and snarl at each other on the stairs if one tries to stray into the territory of the other, so we have food and water and litterboxes on both levels of the house and are hoping they will eventually learn to get along better.  But they're both stubborn, so...

I hope to get to the last stick soon.  The month is more than half over, but there is still time.  I'm actually more concerned about getting the two quilts I'm making blocks for finished.  While I told myself when I made the list, I would be okay with new UFOs, I'm not entirely sure I can handle that now that it might happen!  I suppose, though, since this is my own challenge for myself, I can modify it if I need to...

Time to get sewing!

Happy quilting!
Katie

4 comments:

---"Love" said...

All your projects are looking really great! I especially like the one with the most blocks shown. No telling how much sewing you could get done if you didn't have to change sand hoxes! :) ---"Lovw"

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You are making great progress on those blocks - even with the help of your "helpers" - ;))

Ruth said...

Cute pin cushion! The blocks look great. I have never made that one before but I like the looks of it. Is it a 9" block? Wondering how big the quilt will be? Yesterday I almost bought a quilt top at the thrift shop I like to go to. It was $15 for a red, white and blue quilt top about twin size. I didn't buy it, but will see if it is still there when I go back. I have enough to do right now anyway.

Canuck Quilter said...

Looks like you're enjoying Project Quilting again this year. Those blocks are too cute. I need to go catch up on your past posts to find out what your "sticks" challenge is :) And I think you get plenty done, even with the kitty helpers (give them a little extra love from me). I sewed like an obsessed woman this past week for a deadline, and felt so productive I told myself I was channeling my inner Katie!