Sunday, September 22, 2013

recovering

I am finally, hopefully, mostly over a nasty cold that I've been fighting for more than a week now.  I thought it was over on Wednesday, only to wake up Thursday feeling terrible again.

So, needless to say, I haven't gotten a lot done, but I do have some older quilts to show off...and one that I did finish this week.

Remember about two years ago when I was making quilts out of scraps for the Quilts for Kids charity?  Well, those all got set aside after I learned where the first batch of quilts I'd donated went.  I don't remember exactly, and they did go to kids, but it wasn't kids in hospitals as I'd been told.  With joining the local quilt guild, I again have a place to donate quilts that I know, more or less, where they're going, so I got them out again and decided to get going on finishing.

Two weeks ago I quilted this one (which I showed you and then neglected to take a photo with the binding on):


This one will be donated to the local VA hospital.

Then on Wednesday when I was feeling better, this one was quilted and bound:


Of course, no photo was taken before it was donated, but you get the idea.  This one is going to the local domestic abuse and homeless shelter.  But it's a good thing I did it all on Wednesday, since Thursday I had a relapse!

And while I was looking for smaller pieces of batting and sorting through things, I found these quilts - already done and ready to go:


This one is even worse - I don't even have a photo if it put together!  Oh well.  Once again, you get the idea.  This pattern is from the Moda Bake Shop, called Eli's Wheels.

And finally this one:


At least this one is quilted, if not bound in the photo...

These last two will also go to the local VA hospital, as they are a little larger.  If they aren't big enough for wheelchair or lap quilts, we'll re-route them to the shelter here in town.

There are still 8 quilts in line to be quilted, but I've done 7 and that makes me pretty happy.  I should be working on one today, but after a few nights of coughing fits, my back is rather sore and all the bending and moving and whatnot involved in quilting is difficult.  So I've taken a weekend off.

I've also been working on a new project for me.  Last year, for my birthday, my sister-in-law bought me the "Merry Merry Snowmen" pattern by Bunny Hill.  This year at the AQS show, her booth sat across from a shop displaying the finished quilt and she mentioned that she might like to make it, too.  My mom shared an interest as well, so I decided we should do it together as a block of the month.  I'll be sharing my patterns with them and, if all goes according to plan, we'll all have a finished top by July of next year - plenty of time to get it quilted for next winter, right?

But I decided I should work a month ahead.  Not that I think the pattern will have any flaws or anything - I'm just excited!  So yesterday I finished block #1:


If you clicked on the link, you'll realize mine is a little different...like more...purple?!  I love purple, and all of these fabrics are from my stash, so what can I say?  I'm a little worried I'm going end up hating it because it's not red, but I'm committed at this point!

(And yes, that peeking snowman does not have eyes.  They'll be done with buttons, so I'll be sewing those on after it's quilted.  And when I get them...)

Later this week I plan to give a baby quilt for a little one due very soon, so I'll have another finished quilt (this time I promise to take a photo of the actual, finished quilt...) to share next weekend.

Happy quilting,
Katie

7 comments:

Lynette said...

Hey, that's a fun BOM - and I love the purple in there. Hope the coughing soreness goes away very quickly!

---"Love" said...

I do hope you will feel much better for the coming week. However, it seems to me you got a lot done, even if some of it was simply "re-discovery"; most of us probably should do more of that! The colors and design in all of the pictures look great to me. Do take it easy a few days more, okay? ---"Love"

Beth said...

Do rest so you can get rid of that cold completely. The quilts look great in whatever state of compltion they are. I can't believe you got all of those done and ready to donate.
This past week end was our guild quilt show. Hopefully now that it is over I can sew again.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your snowman quilt!! - And the purple!! - But if you're afraid that you might not like it because it's not red - you could always make two sets of each block - one in purple and the other in red - ;))

Ruth said...

It's great to get things finished and those are looking great! The snowman quilt is going to be adorable and I do love your color choice. Hope you are feeling fine soon!

canuckquilter said...

I'm sorry you've been under the weather. Hopefully you're starting to feel better. Even without making allowances for illness you seem to have accomplished a fair bit. That snowman BOM is awfully cute and I think the purple gives it a nice unexpected twist. Who says snowmen need to be superimposed on blue or red and green Christmas colors? I love that spinning pinwheel quilt too. Do I dare add it to the already too long "want to make one" list?

a good yarn said...

I do hope you are feeling better - soon! Take care of yourself. Your charity quilts are amazing and will be much loved by those who receive them. I think it's important to know where they are going. I love the Snowmen BOM and wish I had time to start another project but I'm rather a little behind. I shall live vicariously through you for now, Happy Stitching!