Saturday, February 13, 2010

no more nonsense - quilty stuff!

I've actually gotten myself into the sewing room this morning and have a few finishes for you...

First, the elephant:


I want to name him, but I'm not sure what.  Since most of him was made during the Superbowl, I thought maybe Peyton or Drew, but that seems silly...any thoughts?

Then I went on to finish the dolly quilt:


The purple looks darker than it is.  I stitched the faces with DMC #333 if you want a reference.  It matched the purple almost perfectly.  It finished 16.5" square.

I had a small strip of Kitty Cucumber fabtic left from the back.  What to do with that?


Kitty toys!

Probably should have used the close-up option on the camera - seems it thought the scratching post they were leaned up against was my focus, but you get the idea.  Kitties LOVE them!

And this past week, I finally got the last of my books (remember how I beat the hubby by losing 4 pounds?).  I bought it for one pattern in particular, but I love just about every one in the book.  It's all I can do to keep myself from starting another project!



I'll probably go quilt some more L's in the pink and brown stars/log cabin quilt now...

I won't show you picutres of snow.  It happens here every year and sticks for about 6 months.  Sticks long enough to get pushed around and turn dirty and yucky...

I may end up helping my brother finish fixing my car.  In October it shredded (not just broke) the timing belt.  Now I don't exactly understand what it is, but it's at least part of what makes the engine go.  And in my car and particular engine, it's not just a replace-it job, it bent stuff inside the engine and (thanks to my ability to have worst-case scenarios happen) that cracked the engine itself.  My brother is a mechanic by day, but did this at home on evenings and weekends (much cheaper labor that way!) and it took until just this past Sunday to get back.  Then a seal went bad (one he'd had trouble with) and it started leaking oil.  He's supposed to be down later today to replace the seal (for once, a relatively easy fix) so I can keep driving it.  I LOVE my car.  It's purple and almost 12, but there is NOTHING I'd rather drive.  The hubby tried to talk me into something else when it initially broke and the price to fix it was $1200 IF the engine wasn't cracked, but my brother gave us a good deal on labor (a big part of the cost) and got a steal on the "new" engine when it needed it.  I've been driving the hubby's car (he also has a pickup) and we have a mutual dislike of each other.  Every time I go to Wal-Mart, it stalls.  I seem to be at Wal-Mart a lot...

Okay, time to do something productive...

Katie

8 comments:

Marsha B said...

Your little elephant is so cute and considering the fabric, maybe Patches would be a good name!

The kitty faces on the dolly quilt are adorable. Some little girl is going to be thrilled with that one!

Marsha

Stash Heaven said...

I love your idea for the kitty quilt; it turned out just right. Don't suppose "whodat" would work for the elephant? Such a lot of foolishness this year over the ownership of the phrase... I understand about the car. Big sigh! I felt the same way about a car I had years ago. Mary

---"Love" said...

Your elephant is so cute! I'm sure you will give him a fitting name soon. Your kitty doll quilt is adorable. It's nice to know that at least someone is completing something these days; I just am not one of that group it seems! ---"Love"

Christine said...

What a cute little guy!! What about Lombardi or Vince for the Lombardi trophy? I hope you can get your car fixed! :) Christine

canuckquilter said...

What a cute elephant! I'm useless for names though - my dolls and stuffies never had the same name 2 weeks in a row. Good thing I managed better with my two kids :)

I still love those kitty faces on the doll quilt. Very fun quilt. It goes well with the doll.

Good luck with the car. I know what you mean about loving your car - ours is 10 years old and I keep patting it and telling "Nice car! don't break..." My brother isn't a mechanic.

-Joanne

Anonymous said...

What cute projects you have accomplished;) As for the name of the elephant...have no clue to help you with that;)
Good luck on the car, and Happy Quilting!!!

Beth said...

The elephant is so cute. I like the patches suggestion. The kitty quilt is adorable I love those kitty faces. Where do you find those adorable dolls?
Good luck with your car, I hope all goes well.
Beth

a good yarn said...

Your elephant is a real sweetie and the kitty quilt looks terrific. I wish I could get more done, everyone is so industrious. Ann :-)