Monday, August 1, 2016

maddie's quilt - pink hazel hedgehogs

So I started this quilt a long time ago.  I also gave it away a long time ago.  I'm finally getting around to blogging about it.

Maybe two years ago a coworker told me his wife was pregnant.  They'd been trying - recently married - and were thrilled to be bringing a little girl into this world.  That little girl was going to have a big half-sister when she arrived.  And while I knew for sure the new baby would get a quilt from me, I thought the big sister needed something, too.

I found Hazel Hedgehog and knew it was THE quilt for Maddie.  She was 10.

I teased you with a variety of posts regarding my progress in 2015, but instead of linking to those, I'll just do a review...

PINK hedgehog parts!
I cut and cut and cut pieces.  Pink hedgehogs for a girly girl!

Pieces labelled up to the letter "S"!
There are a lot of pieces per hedgehog.  Every hedgehog is different.

Lots of hedgehogs!
They took a lot of time - chain-piecing wasn't really an option.  But I loved each one as it came to life.


The layout took a bit of doing - I wanted the wild ones scattered around - you never know what those crazier hedgehogs might talk the tamer ones into doing!

...the weather never cooperates...
Deep breaths!
It took a bit for me to decide HOW to quilt this.  I still struggle with what designs the quilt needs, but I think I'm getting better.  This one, each hedgehog got her own hairdo!

...a flower headband...

...an overall floral 'do...

...hearts...

...and what might be a bad hair day to some!

And eventually, I had a finished quilt!  There's still snow on the ground, but that's spring 2015 snow.

Though the friend no longer works with me, nor did he by the time the quilts were finished, we met up for lunch last summer and I handed over two bags.  He was surprised...he shouldn't have been!

Maddie LOVED the quilt.  He texted me a photo of her...well, her hiding...under it, reading a book that night.  I was so glad she loved it and her dad (and step-mom) let her use it.

I don't think I've shared the baby quilt either - at least not finished - so perhaps another day when I have little else to share in the way of quilting, I'll be motivated to share that one.  (I love it, too!)

Happy quilting,
Katie

5 comments:

---"Love" said...


What a novel idea to give different "hairdos"! The quilt is precious and I'm sure will be much loved by a sweet little girl. Looking forward to the next one. ---"Love"

Sandy said...

Maddie's quilt is just beautiful, and perfect for a 10 year old girl. I love Hazel Hedgehog, so much so that I recently purchased the Fancy Forest pattern. Your quilting is amazing, too. Looking forward to your baby quilt post!

canuckquilter said...

I'm glad you decided to share this finish. I love the hedgehog hair-dos! I definitely think you're getting the hang of picking the quilting for each quilt.

Marsha B said...

I love those pink hedgehogs, they are all adorable! Your unique quilting really makes them cute. Have fun!

a good yarn said...

Love the curly wurly quilting on the hedgehog heads! It turned out so well Katie.