Saturday, March 31, 2012

march UFO: finished

With just about an hour to spare, my UFO for March is completed.  Well, a top at least, and that's good enough for me.

I procrastinated quite well this month.  I started here:



I had found the pattern shortly after purchasing the kit in "At Home with Thimbleberries" and it's called Lily Field.  That made things infintely easier than drafting from a block that was in with the fabrics.

Early this month I sorted through the fabrics in the pile and figured out where everything went.  I had quite a few extra pieces and one green was missing, but I figured out how to make it all work.  My blocks aren't quite the same, but since only one lily and a few alternate blocks were made, I wasn't too worried about the differences.

I plan to put the blocks the previous maker has done on the back.


I think all those changes messed with my quilty mojo because I wasn't feeling this project this month.  But I pushed myself.  Not very hard...

Last week I was excited when block units started coming together:


But that was just this past week.  And I can't say the quilt was nearly done when I sat down to sew this morning.  This is where I was:


4 quarter blocks done
4 half blocks done
18 full blocks mostly done
0 alternate blocks done (0 alternate block parts cut)
borders...what borders?

I sewed and sewed and sewed.
Took an unexpected lunch break to deliver this:


(no, I didn't make it - it's 12 cupcakes iced with about 15 pounds if icing)
because last weekend when we went out to dinner for the hubby's birthday, my 3-year-old nephew was so disappointed we didn't bring any cake for him, we had to remedy that.  And it's so cute I had to share.

And then I sewed and sewed and sewed.
And then dragged the hubby off the couch (he's reading "The Hunger Games" - he read 100 pages, then decided he had to see the movie, so went alone tonight (with my blessing) and now he's back to the book...) to hold up the quilt for me.

In the bedroom where the light, at 11pm, is best.
(But by no means good.)


top: done
18 lily blocks done
17 alternate blocks done
4 borders (using those partial blocks) done

I plan to cut binding before I put everything away, but I think I'm going to get some much-deserved sleep!  And some kitty snuggle time.  All but Emma were very patient and Emma is easily distracted, so she's not too much trouble.  She likes to lick the kitty that comes to visit in the window at night...she can't figure out why that kitty is always there...I've tried to explain it's her reflection...now I just tell her to calm down, that kitty will go away in the morning.

I did do some other crafty stuff this week, but I'll save that for a post in a day or two.

Happy quilting,
Katie

14 comments:

AnnieO said...

Very impressed, Katie! The Thimbleberries colors are so soft and friendly looking and this is a definite charmer of a quilt top. Congratulations! Now go to bed :)

shirley said...

after your hard day of sewing...that turned out quite beautifully. great job

Debbie said...

Congrats on the finish...it looks great. Hope Emma enjoys her snuggle time.

Dar said...

WOW, you are really a driven sewer when you put your mind to it!! I love your finished top. And that kitty cake is just adorable.

Ruth said...

Looks awesome! Good for you!

Vivian said...

Really nice Katie! I love the way that floral fabric "shimmers" in the alternate chain blocks!

Great finish and a fantastic rescue job, kudos!!

canuckquilter said...

Looks great! Sounds like you had a sewing marathon today, buit the results seem woryth it.

Jennifer said...

wow! great job! and you really did sew and sew and sew...

---"Love" said...

Very nice! It's going to be a beautiful quilt! That cake is so cute! You deserve a nice rest, so take advantage of it! ---"Love"

Diane Kelsey said...

A wonderful quilt, I can't believe how much progress you made in a day. Hope you got a good nights sleep.

JudyCinNC said...

This is truly a treasure and thank you for sharing. Beautiful work. Judy C

Beth said...

Lucky fabric bits to be rescued by such a dedicated quilter. You did a great job putting this quilt together. You must have gotten up at O'Dark thirty to get all that done.
Love the cake. I bet the nephew loved it too.
Everyone is talking about the hunger games since the movie came out.

Liriopia said...

Well done, it turned out great! Love the chaining!

Liri

Unknown said...

Nice finish;) That's funny about the visiting kitty;) They are a hoot;)
Happy Quilting!!