Saturday, April 13, 2013

sewing room drama


The upside?  I got Taco Bell for lunch.

(Old iron quit heating.  New iron drags something terrible.  Really old iron still has menopause, but is the best of the three by far.)

I also had this going on:


(Emma's favorite place to sleep when I'm trying to sew.)

I've been working to catch up on my block challenge.  I was 8 behind and got 4 made today.  Of course, now I've added today to the list I'm behind, but I AM catching up.  Check back tomorrow afternoon for my progress report on that.

And last Sunday, my friend from work texted me this photo:


Some fat eighths she'd picked up a while ago.  Said she was going to THROW THEM AWAY if I didn't want them.  That's a sin.  And of course I'll take them.

And sew at least one of them into something for her...


How about a case for her new iPad mini?  I searched and found this tutorial for the mini dimensions but it linked to this tutorial for the sewing instructions.


There was much interest regarding the inside...

She said it fits perfectly!

Happy quilting,
Katie


8 comments:

Marsha B said...

Finding a new iron is hard to do. There are so many options, but finding the perfect one is a challenge! If the new one isn't doing the job, I think I would return it and try another, but who wants to do that!

Love the little case! The embroidery really makes it cute!

Ruth said...

I hate it when an iron that I love breaks. It seems though, like mine totally quit or are just impossible to use. Now I have a Shark iron which is large, but is working great. It is a sin to throw perfectly good fabric away and sometimes one can make something amazing with it, like the great little Ipad case! Love it! Cats are so funny.

Barb said...

Nothing is more frustrating than a sluggish iron...I have one right now...

Lynette said...

lol :) fun post. Yes, the iron woes. . .

Unknown said...

Love the iron drama;) I am using an iron I picked up at the goodwill for $5....works better than some that I have paid more for..very happy with it;) Throwing fabric away??? My goodness, at least donate it;) Love the project;)
Happy Quilting!!

Beth said...

I packed my irons. I found one. The one I found was the one I bought to be my back up. I turned it on, the dial is not right. I put water in it and it leaked the water out of the iron all over the board and the wool I was trying to work with. Have to go find the othere iron. So, I feel your pain. And we need an iron that works. Properly, all the time.
Cute case and the embroidery makes it even cuter.
You can get caught up with your blocks. Keep sewing!

a good yarn said...

Must be something in the water. I've just gone through a similar experience. The new iron is okay but not fabulous. At least it has a long cord. Emma's just keeping your seat warm isn't she?

canuckquilter said...

I hate buying a new iron! Can't help it when the old one stops working, of course, so I'm hoping my current one can behave for a while! I feel your frustration!

Throw away perfectly good fabric? There's a fabric shelter at my house for any other poor unwanted pieces :) The cute little case you sewed up is a much better use for that fabric than trash can filler!