Friday, May 13, 2011

blogger's quilt festival: krystal's quilt

Some of you have seen this quilt before (back in the APQ days), but I still love it and it's such a great story, I'm going to share it today for the Blogger's Quilt Festival.

Amy's Creative Side

I have a good friend, Krystal.  We met probably 12 years ago when she started working part-time with me.  We had a great time working together and got along well and became friends.  I've been gone from that job 10 years now and we're still friends.

As good friends do, we shared good and bad, laughed and cried together.  She's a great gal, but seemed to have trouble finding a worthy guy.  She'd been dating a guy who seemed perfect and I was waiting for the engagement so I could get busy on a wedding quilt, but instead she got the unpleasant surprise of a breakup.

I decided she needed a quilt anyways, boy or no.  So I started looking for ideas...

In the Spring 2007 issue of Quilts and More, this quilt was featured.


Called "Climb on In" by, um, well it doesn't say!  If it's yours, please let me know and I'll change this to give you proper credit!

So off I went looking for fabric for those plain stripes.  I knew that was going to be the hardest for me - a large-scale print...  I came up with this poppy print:


My mom was with me.  She told me how U-G-L-Y this print is.  We often have different opinions.  I ignored hers.  I often do.  (She ignores mine too.  It's all good.)

Of course, the original quilt wasn't large enough, and those tulip-like flowers don't go so well, so I had to make a few modifications...  I also had to find some crazy long tables to get those 100" strips of applique pinned properly!

But I had no real deadline and those of you who follow me know that I work S-L-O-W without one.  And in the meantime, she started dating again and found a wonderful guy online.  He moved here from England and they were married in a gorgeous outdoor ceremony a bit north of home two days before my own anniversary with my hubby.  (What a nice anniversary trip for us!)

So the quilt turned into a wedding quilt!


Here it is before it was quilted.  Queen size!

I love it.  Every time I see the pictures I love it more.  My mom was SO wrong about the poppy print...but she still stands by it's ugliness, even if she does like the quilt overall.

But the BEST part was giving it at the wedding.  I had to make a fuss because they were going to open gifts later, privately, but I wanted this to be seen.  Krystal liked it, but her new hubby...he hugged it to himself and went around the room showing it to everyone like a little boy who'd just found his long-lost blankie.  Absolutely priceless reaction.  The best I've ever gotten.  Likely the best I'll ever get.


How about this awesome quilting?  Done by Bonnie Rhoby, my favorite longarmer (who also sold me her extra longarm last fall).  She made the quilt even better, if that was possible.

And yup, that's all needle-turn applique!

And now for the sad part.  The part that those of you who have seen this quilt before don't know yet.  My friend and her hubby, married not yet 3 years, are separated.  I don't know the whole story (she's a busy gal and we don't see each other as often as we'd like), but I'm sad for her.  Yet I hope that she still has this quilt and can curl up under it every night and have it comfort her because that's where this quilt started and that's where my heart will always be for her.  A great big sisterly hug.

Happy quilting and blogger's quilt festivalling (yep, that's a word now),
Katie

24 comments:

ann hermes said...

My goodness, the quilt is gorgeous. I, like your mom, was a bit skeptical about the floral, but when I saw the quilt I knew you werevright.

Lynette said...

Love this quilt. Your poor friend. I hope all works out well for her soon. THe quilting on it is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Great quilt! I love bar quilts like this. I hope you're right and your friend is still taking comfort in the quilt!

canuckquilter said...

So much lovely applique! I just have to enjoy looking at yours because I just don't have the patience to do some of my own. Thanks for sharing the story.

---"Love" said...

Another bittersweet story! I hope she got to keep the quilt! It is gorgeous, and your applique is incredible! ---"Love"

Teresa said...

I love the poppy print. The needle turned applique is really impressive, your a good friend!!! I have made a rule to only gift quilts for ten year wedding anniversaries, and so far no one has made it! But this quilt is different because you made it for your friend, not her and her husband. I'm sure she will still cherish it!

Sandy said...

This is a lovely quilt, Katie, made for all the right reasons. I hope it will always comfort your friend. What a great story.

Sandy

a good yarn said...

Simply stunning! Love that poppy print and yes, I imagine it quilt hugs your friend just right. Ann :-)

Liriopia said...

Beautiful quilt and I love the poppy fabric. Sorry your friends marriage in on the rocks. Maybe things will mend.

Liri

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

So beautiful! That's so funny that your mom 'stands by it's ugliness". HAHA! It came out beautifully.

Marsha B said...

Your quilt is beautiful, you did a wonderful job piecing and appliqueing it and your quilter did a wonderful job, too. Thanks for sharing the story even if it wasn't a happily ever after one. I hope she finds the right guy one day.

Windsom Winds said...

Despite your mom's opinion, I too love the poppys! What a great quilt and the applique is wonderful. I hope your friend find love and comfort under it despite the circumstances.

Sandra said...

What a beautiful strippy quilt. It reminds me of the antique strippy or bars quilts from Pennsylvania. Love that needleturn and the quilting is wonderful. Kudos.
Come see my entries #211, repro cheddar orange stars and #215 antique 1850 applique flower garden

Rachaeldaisy said...

Such a beautiful quilt and a lovely story behind it. There's only one thing better than wrapping yourself up in a quilt and that's wrapping yourself up in a quilt made by a dear friend.

Debbie said...

Glad you stuck with it! Your friend is lucky to have you for many reasons. Lovely.

stitchinpenny said...

Beautiful quilt and a sad story. Your mom was wrong! The poppy print was perfect.

Unknown said...

I am so impressed by that needle turn applique. WOW! I'm sure this quilt is giving your friend some much needed comfort right now!

Beth said...

The quilt is beautiful! From the fabric to thestitching to the quilting. I hope that your friend has it to wrap around her and get quilty hugs during this difficult time. If she doesn't, she still has a great friend in you, and she knows that.

Eileen said...

Awww...sad story but absolutely lovely quilt. Sure hope she still has it and can feel those hugs from you! Thanks for sharing a great quilt and have a great day

Karen said...

Gorgeous quilt. Glad you stuck with your choice of fabric. And isn't it amazing how quilts have wonderful stories to go with them!

Sara said...

Beautiful,beautiful!!!!! Love the flower layout:)

Sarcastic Quilter said...

The quilt is beautiful.

Unknown said...

What a great quilt. Your friend is very lucky.

Kristen said...

This is a beautiful gift and I hope she takes great comfort in it!