Monday, September 4, 2023

positivity bonus finish

I've had a couple of quieter weeks in regard to quilting projects.  I did have this quilt to share last week, but decided to take a week off from blogging.

(Also, I didn't have a photo yet and I was being super lazy.)

This morning, with the hubby's help (this is a new thing for us, him having holidays off - for years and years, he worked them all), I got a quick finish photo.

This quilt started out as extra pieces from the Positivity quilt along.  We were told there would be a bonus quilt, but didn't get the instructions for what to do with the pieces until the original top construction instructions were done.

It all started out with sewing strips:


These went fast, but also seemed to take forever.  You know how I LOVE the long seams...

Once we knew what to do, I employed my design floor to make sure the colors were somewhat spread out.


Since my jelly roll was skinny to start, this would make a smaller bonus quilt.  So I toyed with some ideas how to make it larger by adding sashings or something, but in the end, I did like this simple layout, so I sewed it together.


A local quilty friend saw my blog post about this quilt and mentioned there is a nursing home in the area that she has donated lap quilts to in the past.  In fact, she has a few in the works, so I could add to hers!

She mentioned that the size it was would be large enough, but I decided to do a little border addition because it seemed rather small.  A little extra to tuck under your legs is never bad, right?


I had thought to use the sea turtle fabric from Jenna's baby quilt, but it wasn't quite enough.  So I kept digging in my stash and found leftover back from the tiny stars quilt (I promise someday I'll get a good photo and share that one!) and it was so perfect I was glad the turtles wasn't big enough!

I loaded it along with the actual Positivity quilt on the longarm a few weeks ago and away I went!


Lots of swirls in this one!

And then I washed it.  Though I had tested the red-orange fabric for colorfastness, it was the purple-blue that bled a little.


It's not awful and the worst of it is at the seam allowances.  But being a jelly roll, prewashing isn't really possible.  (Even the single orange one I soaked was a pain in the behind once it had been wet.)

Quilt stats:

Designed by: SewPreetiQuilts
Size: 42"x42"
Pieced and quilted by me

In other quilty news...well...there isn't any!  The baby quilt with the vehicles is waiting to be quilted.  I thought about doing it last week one day, but never did get to it.  I think Friday this week I might finally have a whole day to dedicate to it?  We'll see how the week goes, though.  It shouldn't take long (I'm not going to do anything super fancy), so maybe I can get it done with a trip to the vet in the middle that one day?  Or maybe the day I have a shorter shift at work?

I have been making some cat hammocks, but that also has been a bit of a slump.  I'm getting back on that wagon, though, because I only have a few fabrics left.  In this stash.  I'm sure there is more waiting for me.  (Or maybe I'll switch gears and make a bunch of catnip toys for their fundraiser events.  Who knows?!)

Off to figure out what the day holds.  With the hubby home, things can take unexpected turns...

Happy quilting!
Katie

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It's nice to get a bonus quilt from leftovers - even if you have to sew LONG seams - we all know how much you love those - LOL. Loading two quilts at the same time is a GREAT idea - ;))