Saturday, October 16, 2010

happy halloween!

I've been working on this for a little while now and I can finally show it to you!


I made this for my sister-in-law (also a quilter) because she loves Halloween.

The little embroidered people are Halloweenie Eenies.  I couldn't resist the pattern, but then didn't know what to do with them...problem solved!

(The link here is to the shop of the gal who designed them, but I found them on Etsy too.)

My sis-in-law and I decided to have a quilty day at my mom's today.  We called yesterday to let her know.  :)  I took her the wall-hanging and we had a great time.

I worked on a baby quilt for my ex-sister-in-law (new auntie to twins - of the twin quilts).


I cut and pieced the background for the doggie (the squares) and this evening cut out the circles and other parts for applique.

I also made these horrendous blocks:


The directions had me make those middle-outer-triangle sections using the method where you don't lose any fabric.  I will NEVER use that method again.  I have trouble with these anyways, but not one single point matched.  I tried and tried, but gave up.  I hate that I didn't get them right, but when you've sewn 16 blocks (64 points) and not one matches, you know it's not you.  I CAN make these match when using other methods.  I don't know what I did wrong, as I followed the directions, but clearly I'm inept at this technique.  Maybe I should demote myself again?  Nah.

The quilt is made to be used and the gal who will recieve it likely won't know any better.  (If she does, she likely knows how hard it is to get things perfect and will accept it.)

The pattern is Baby's Bow Wow Blankie by All Through the Night.  I found it at a quilt show this spring and had to have it.  When I found out about the pregnancy, it was all I could do to wait until I found out boy or girl so I could buy fabrics (wouldn't this be cute in pinks and purples?).

Time for applique!

Happy quilting,
Katie


8 comments:

Marsha B said...

I love the Halloween quilt, you did a great job using the cute stitching patterns. I'm sure she loves it, too.

The little dog is going to be cute, too. The bright fabrics are great and I'm sure the points won't be noticed that much. It is a great gift. And yes, it would be adorable in pinks and purples!

Windsom Winds said...

I have been waiting to see what you would do with the Bow Wow pattern. It is looking very cute. Can't wait to see it in purple. I've never tried that method of piecing, but have tried enough other methods that just don't work that I understand the frustration. I'm sure it will be less noticable when you have it all together.

---"Love" said...

That little doggie quilt is precious! The Halloween project is going to be really cute too! I don't foresee your having a problem with getting the blocks together; I love the bright colors! ---"Love"

Unknown said...

Your Halloween quilt is just too cute;) As for the blocks...I've had patterns like that that make me wonder if I still know how to quilt;)
Glad you had fun quilting;)
Happy Quilting!!

a good yarn said...

It's maddening when a technique simply doesn't work. Perhaps something was missing from the instructions. Great Halloween quilt! I'm looking forward to seeing the baby quilt. Looks beaut so far! Ann :-)

Beth said...

That halloween quilt is just so adorable. I love those little eenies.

That puppy is so very cute. Great colors on all your fabric. It would be cute in any color I think. Can't wait to see it all together. Course with you I won't have to wait long.

Sandy said...

Katie, the Hallowe'en quilt for your sister-in-law is adorable. The doggie applique is very cute (another idea to file away). Those blocks are not horrendous at all -- the quilt will be so cute and colourful that no one will ever know of your struggle.

Sandy

Barb said...

I love both quilts, the one done and the one you are working on...what fun fabrics for the second one.