Thursday, May 31, 2018

may UFO complete

(completed to my satisfaction, that is)

This month, the UFO number called was 12.  The dreaded UFO.  A box of blocks in various stages of done-ness for a quilt I'd mostly lost interest in.  It just seemed like a lot of work and, while I liked it to start, this project has taught me to be more selective when I get excited about a new project.  (How much work is actually involved - applique? pieced applique backgrounds? embroidery?  And is it large enough that I'm likely to lose interest before completion?)

But the hubby was away for a week on business early in the month, so I had the house to myself.  Not a whole lot different since my "retirement" started (more on that in a minute), but no need to keep any sort of schedule.  Now don't go thinking I sewed all night and slept all day - I kept my sleeping schedule fairly the same, and my hubby isn't a rigid schedule kind of guy, but there are still certain expectations...you know, dinner...quilting stuff not taking over the couch...

So, I turned on the Netflix and DVR and plopped on the couch.

When I started, I had three blocks to go, with the backgrounds pieced and (surprise!) the freezer paper patterns traced and cut out.  I layed it all in the middle of my sewing room floor, hoping I'd be motivated enough to work on the project, not just walk around it...


(the colors are terrible here, but purple does not like to be photographed)

A few hours later, I went back up and decided I'd prep ONE block for applique.


Once this was done, I decided to just keep going.  Thinking again, like the mess on the floor, if I had my pins tied up in a project, that might be motivation to get them back?

No photos, but the other three were prepped as well.

I managed to applique one whole block each of the first three days the hubby was gone.

The next day was spent "arming" my snowmen.  Also the few other embroidery details.

And while my goal for this UFO was forward progress of any type, I decided I might as well put the blocks together.  The way the background pieces are put together, there are no sashings to deal with, so other than having fairly large blocks (18" or so on some sides!), and a few seams to match, it went together fairly quickly.

Well, I've got the fabrics out and the pattern out, so might as well figure out borders, right?  (I had a box of purple and tan stash fabrics and no official plan...)  And it turned out that, with a little effort, I even had enough of one of the purples for most of the back!

I don't have any in-progress photos of any of this because I was too busy sewing to take them, but I do have a (poorly lit, indoor) photo of the finished top!  (I thought about taking it outside for a photo, but it's been too windy here the last few days...never mind this has been finished for weeks...)


The back is one of the smaller scale purples with a little of the tan with pokey-looking purple flowers on it to make it big enough.

The noses, eyes, buttons and a few jingle bells and such will be added after quilting.  (On the first block, the snowmen got these details embroidered, but I decided that was a lot of work and I wasn't very good at it, so I bought some carrot buttons...)

I thought about quilting it, and am kinda excited to do a variety of motifs, but know that actually deciding on them will be harder than just anticipating it.  So I set it aside, along with the back and prepared binding (yep, that too!) to await further efforts.

This is WAY more than I expected I would do.  I actually thought, before the number was called, that I might just give it up to a loving home that would finish it.  But I'm glad I put in the effort.  I have no idea what I'll do with it when it IS finished, but that's a problem for another day.

And we can't have a post without a cat, right?


Super helpful Lexie.  She's recently deaf, so no amount of hollering at her roused her from her comfy slumber.  I had to physically remove her, but we're still in the learning process with that and scare the bejeezus out of here every so often.  But she's an indoor cat and we know the issue, so there's really not much more you can do.  (The vet says brain surgery could fix it, but seriously?  Brain surgery?  I don't think I'd attempt that on myself even if I knew it could fix something like being deaf, but in a 14-year-old cat? Other than missing a few meals if we don't tell her about them, she's doing just fine.)

Since this was completed, I started working on the Swoon quilt.  This quilt...I know the pattern is not to blame for my trouble piecing, but seriously.  I'm struggling more with each block and will be glad to be done.  I have seven of nine blocks done, so soon...


And about the "retirement"...  After a few months of paying bills and such, we discovered that we didn't have much fun money.  So I've gone back to work.  As a cashier at the local Tractor Supply Company.  Today was my third day and I've got a lot to learn about what the store carries, where to find it and generally everything, but it's WAY less stressful than the lab job and it's only part time.  Also, it's a mile from home.  I could literally walk to work if I chose.  (But not this week - it's crazy hot and I'm not sure if I'd make it before the mosquitoes carried me off!)  I kind of expected something like this would happen - for one reason or another - but with a great recommendation from a friend/former employee, I got in fast.  Now I just have to prove myself...hoping that won't be too hard, but I'm putting in the effort!

The worst part?  It's cutting into my quilting time.  But, it's also providing me with a little cash flow for more quilting stuff.  It's all about the balance.  (And I have tomorrow off - great timing since it's a new month!)


Happy quilting!
Katie

4 comments:

Carol R. said...

So you got the job... congrats! I almost called you tonight to see if you were going to guild and if so, could I get a ride, but that didn't happen. I was too tired from having too much fun here at home to rush around getting ready for guild.

---"Love" said...

I can't even imagine tackling that much applique, but it turned out really cute! Sorry your cat is having hearing problems, but I wouldn't want to agree to brain surgery for it either! Hope you enjoy your new job; i'm sure you will do well. ---"Love"

Suzanne said...

Congrats to you for pushing thru and finishing. My May UFO was a challenge for me too, but I decided to pass on a full quilt. Good luck at your new job.

Ruth said...

It seems like once one/you/I make up your/my mind do do something it gets easier. When my DGD was visiting and she was doing some sewing I needed to find something to do not using the machine and I got out an appliqué Christmas wall hanging that I had wanted to get done last year, but didn't. I at least was able to get the "Merry Christmas" letters ironed on. I'm going to just do a straight stitch around the edges since it will only be used on the wall for a month or so per year. There is more to do, but I'm determined to get it done this year. The snowman top is adorable!! I know you will be happy you got it done! I love your other blocks too. They are gorgeous!