Friday, October 28, 2011

blogger's quilt festival: Penny's quilt

As I was looking through my quilty posts, I couldn't believe I hadn't posted about this quilt, finished, yet, so I saved it for the Blogger's Quilt Festival to really show it off.

A few years back, Judy Laquidara offered a quilt along, block of the month pattern that I honestly can't remember what it was called.  (Sorry Judy!)  There were a number of star blocks, all a little different, and a bunch of borders.  (But what quilt of Judy's would be complete without oodles of borders?)

Anyways, I really wanted to do it, but couldn't think of a good reason.  I knew if I started it without a reason to finish it, I'd never finish it.  And then it hit me: a good friend of the family, Penny, would be turning 40 in about a year and a half.  Since the timing on the quilt was a year, I'd have a top finished in plenty of time to get it longarmed and give it for her birthday.

To the store for fabrics!
(For those of you who are familiar with her quilt you'll see I used the same colors as her first one - I liked it so much, I decided not to change it!)

Each month I awaited the new block instructions.  Judy writes impeccable instructions and I was thrilled to work them.  I even learned how to cut a 1/16" increment for some pieces!

I can't even find photos of all the blocks...but here are a few...


I struggled more with some blocks than others, but in the end, they all look great.


And then came borders.  Judy had lots of borders, but by the time I'd made 12 blocks and sashings, I was wearing down.  So I went with simple borders.


I think the solid borders frame it nicely.

I used a very pink pink on the back.  Penny is a girly girl and LOVES pink (even at 40!), and I toyed with the idea of making the top itself quite girly, but it's king-size and I wanted it to be used on the bed she and her hubby share.  Though he's a pretty laid-back guy, I figured a pinky-pink quilt might not make him terribly happy.  (Especially if Penny decided she needed to redecorate the room to match!)

The quilting is just an overall pattern of viney leaves.  I wanted to have a more custom job done, but money was tight and I don't think hurts the quilt at all.

I took it to her 40th birthday party, where we'd been instructed to NOT bring presents.  Well...  She pulled it out of the bag, did a happy dance, hugged it and ran OUTSIDE (her birthday is in November and we live where there's usually snow on the ground by then) to show everyone out there "helping" deep fry chicken wings!  I think she liked it...

So this is my entry for the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  Go check out the rest of the beautiful quilts!

Amy'sCreativeSide

 
Katie


Happy quilting,

32 comments:

trish said...

Beautifully done! :o)

Marsha B said...

Katie, that is a beautiful quilt! The simplicity about it is really striking. Love the colors, too. You did a great job on it and she loves it. What could be better than that?

Cathy said...

Lovely quilt and great story too!

Liriopia said...

I really like all the different stars. So pretty! No wonder your friend loved the quilt!

Liri

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

I love Penny's quilt. I like the story about how it came to be. I think the solid borders really make the blocks stand out and sparkle. Nice job!!

---"Love" said...

It is gorgeous! The borders really compliment the placement of your perfect stars! Be proud! ---"Love"

a good yarn said...

Gosh it really has pizazz! It's a super design and terrif quilt journey. ann :-)

Karen said...

Stars have to be one of my favourite blocks in a quilt. I love all the different stars in this quilt. IT looks great. I think the borders you have added work very well.

Mom said...

love the quilt!

Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Beautiful quilt. I love your solid borders.

Kathy said...

How exciting that she loved it so much she ran right out to show the rest of the party guests! It is a very classic quilt on the front and I like the way you backed it with a color your friend loves! You had some nice pictures that went along with the history of making it too. Your post was fun to read.

Eileen said...

That is just beautiful! Love how you've set them off with the narrow sashing and squares. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Marg said...

It's a lovely quilt. I love all the different stars and the borders finish it perfectly.

Kit Lang said...

Lovely quilt - thanks for sharing!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Those blocks do look great! Very nice.

Lynette said...

This is such a beautiful quilt.

cauchy09 said...

oh, wow, what a classy quilt! it's perfect.

Candied Fabrics said...

Love it! I love that there aren't too many dark pink star blocks, and that you've spaced them out - it makes the pink be a strong accent (but not too girly!!!)

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! I am your newest follower from www.createdbycori.blogspot.com

I hope you will follow back and I cant wait to check out the rest of your blog!

quirky granola girl said...

i love the sashing and setting you used in this quilt. beautiful.

Lyanna L. said...

love the sashing - i think it helps bring focus to the stars. Great job! =)

Sandy said...

Wow, the sashing really sets off the stars beautifully! Gorgeous!

Lonci said...

I love quilt, beautiful:)

Beth said...

The stars are perfect. The setting really sets them off. I think your plain borders frame the stars without competing for attention, so I like!
I bet she was so thrilled. You know another of your beautiful quilts has a good home.
I will have to go check out the other quilts.

Karen said...

There is just something about a star quilt - great job!!

Lisa at Sun Naturals said...

Single border was definitely the way to go for this quilt. It is beautiful!

Simply Sandy said...

I really like this quilt. I love anything with stars and this one has them all. I loved this story so much, I am now following your blog!

Staci said...

Love how you set your star blocks on point. Beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful birthday gift! It is quite beautiful!

~ meagan

Maureen T. said...

Your borders really showcased your beautiful center!!

FlourishingPalms said...

Isn't it nice to be able to do something for someone so that it's unexpected, yet abundantly appreciated? Your quilt is lovely, and it sounds like you have a lovely and generous heart to go with the quilt. Wonderful!

Martha said...

Beautiful quilt...thanks for sharing.