Monday, February 12, 2024

a little more

As was the case last week, not a lot of sewing happened here, but there as some and that counts, right?

The exciting stuff is the 100 day stitch book pages.


Day 18


Day 19


Day 20 - the completion of this page.  I really love that I added flowers to the bike baskets.  I'm not so sure about the X stitches in green in the corner.  And I'm struggling to like attaching the fabrics with anything other than a big running stitch.


Day 21, Page 5 - a little mini block left over from when I sewed something wrong.  And French knots are hard, particularly when you're trying to space them on a bias edge.


Day 22 - I debated keeping going with the running stitch on the white, but had an idea...


Day 23 - The idea furthered...


Day 24 - the rest of the idea (though I thought about filling in with more French knots around the beads, but it looks nice this way I think)

Today is day 25, and I have no idea what else I will do to this, but I'll see what strikes me when I sit down to work on it.

Some days I have to turn on the laser mouse and throw toys, other days Lily does this:


(Currently she is trying to chew my thumbs off.  She also opened another window mid-word and has stomped on the B key for about a page and a half.  She's lucky I love her so much.)

I have been sewing heating pad covers for the cat rescue and have a self-imposed deadline of the end of the month.  So I can start a new quilt along!

Way back in the days of my baby blog that was a part of American Patchwork and Quilting, I "met" Joanne.  She made fabulous quilts and in the intervening years (it's been a couple)  has become an amazing pattern designer and you may have seen Canuck Quilter at your local quilt shop.

Well.

She is hosting a mystery quilt, starting on February 29th.

Photo by Canuck Quilter

Being just two colors, there's no chance of bats, right?  (I really, really wish I had a photo of that quilt because it comes up far more often than you'd expect.)

I decided, since there are three size options, to go small and make one for my new great-niece.  (Her mom married my nephew at the end of 2023 and while we've been around her for most of her life, things were sketchy with the nephew (not her dad) and her mom at the time of her birth, so she doesn't have a quilt.)

I went fabric shopping with an open mind, just knowing I'd like the quilt to be girly-ish.  (So none of my beloved greys and blacks...)


The hot pink caught my eye first (I had trouble getting the color just right in the photo, so hopefully future photos will do a better job, but this is close), but I wandered through everything trying to make sure I had a good match.

I love the girliness of the floral and tried SO VERY HARD to add purple, but as anyone who tries to use purple will know, there are 400,000,000 shades and the stores never have THE shade you need.

Back to the pink.

Now I just have to wait for the first clue!

If you're in the mood for a new project, Joanne writes really good patterns and I know this will not disappoint.  I mean, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it will be good.  So sign up and join me!

And I'll leave you with one nerdy thing...


The Storygraph where I track my books, has a streak feature.  I turned it on last January because they had a competition to read every day in January.  I kept it going through this January and hit 400 days in a row that I've read at least one page.  While I do read a lot, I'm pretty sure I would have read less and had days where I just skipped reading altogether if I didn't have this to keep me motivated.

Alright, time to go figure out what else the day will hold.  I need 10 more heating pad covers and have one more day of stitching on the current stitch book page.  And Lily has almost chewed off my left thumb, so I guess its time to head off.

Happy quilting!
Katie

PS Now that I'm done, Lily has settled on my lap and is purring herself to sleep.  Of course she is.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

You're making fun pages for your 100 day stitch book, Katie!
Lily is a beauty (with lots of personality, I can tell).
So with Storygraph, reading every day, you're competing with yourself, more or less, right? Good for you to keep it up for so many days.

a good yarn said...

Perfect girly fabric for Joanne’s mystery quilt. Purples are diabolical and blues for that matter. Miss Lily just wanted to catch up on Insta. Maybe he’s he has her own page which she secretly posts to at night when you’re all sleeping. The 100 day stitch book is coming along nicely. Candlewicking knots might be worth trying. They are ar best different to French Knots.