Monday, August 8, 2022

whales and a mystery

Last week you saw the start of the whale baby quilt.

The hubby is up north fishing, so I've had lots of free time to sew.  I made whales!


Left-facing (with bonus right-facing to make it even).


Right-facing.


Then a layout and some math that determined, even with sashings, this would be wider than it was long.

Back to the stash.


Three more left-facing.


That looks pretty good.  On to sashing and borders!


Toby was getting hungry, and much of the method of Emma (who he never knew), he got really pesky and plopped in the middle of what I was doing when his belly started needing help.

I did get the side borders on before I fed him (it didn't take long), and so I have a finished top - but no photo.  It stormed here yesterday and everything was wet, so no good for outdoor photos.  Soon, I hope, but storms are predicted today, too.

But no time for that today anyways - this is my guild's sewing day and we're doing a mystery!

I stopped a week ago to pick out fabrics at my local quilt shop!


Before washing - gotta make sure I don't have any issues there...


After washing, pressing and folding neatly.  Ready to cut!


And pieces cut.  You can see here it's just squares, but I prepped and made sure I knew what was what - all this is in a bin that will go with me shortly.


Just minutes after I took the photo of inside the bin, Finn climbed in.  He slept there for the better part of two days.  He wants to do the mystery, too!  (Sorry kitten, not a good idea!)

I have gathered my supplies and will be heading out shortly for a day of fun sewing.  At least I hope it will be fun...mysteries can sometimes turn out terribly.  Here's to hoping at least I have fun with quilty friends!

I also finished the binding on the Positivity quilt along quilt - no photos there yet, either.  Besides the rain, it's been about 4,000 degrees outside and about 87,000% humidity.  I'm enjoying my air conditioning and going out little.

I'm also working my way through the ridiculous pile of cat toys.  Finn and Freddie REALLY wanted to help with that last night, but they were more interested in the bin (with a top on tightly) of finished toys than what I was sewing.  I tried sprinkling a little catnip on the floor for them, and that went well for a while, but eventually they came back to the source.

Time to go pack myself a lunch (no idea what the plans there might be, so I'm going prepared!) and pack the car and hope to beat the rain.

Happy quilting!
Katie

3 comments:

Carol R. said...

Have fun at the sew a long; we'll miss you at lunch.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Have fun!! - ;))

Preeti said...

These are so fun. The colors are lovely!!!
I agree with your heat and humidity measurements :-D