Monday, August 1, 2022

a new project

Last week was busy with all sorts of random things, as I mentioned in my last blog post.

This week looks to be equally nuts, but I'm determined to squeeze in some sewing time.  It seems like I haven't been doing much lately, so I'm going to be more stubborn about it this week.

(The hubby is still on vacation, so that is a definite distraction!)

In quilty news, last week I loaded up the Positivity Quilt Along top and got it quilted!


And then I went right up and sewed on the binding.

Okay, there was a little procrastination there, but I did it the same day.

A few days later, I had time to work on the hand-sewing side of the binding and Toby jumped right in to help.  Like, literally IN.

It's about half done, but I ran out of time and haven't made the time to sit down and finish it yet.

There has been time, but I used it otherwise.

I worked Saturday and found out a coworker adopted two kittens a few days before.  He had two kitties and got some toys at Christmas, but he and his girlfriend broke up and she took the kitties (and all the toys) when she left.  He was heartbroken, but waited a bit before adopting new babies.

So what do these new kitties need?


New fishies!

I rushed home after work and quickly sewed these and took them back before his shift was over.  He was surprised and happy.  I get the feeling kind things like this aren't a normal part of his life.

Yesterday I was determined to sew.

The hubby had the nephew coming over to help with heavy-duty yard stuff in preparation for the pig roast, so I decided I was gonna hide upstairs and sew.  That baby quilt with the whales isn't going to sew itself!

Testing the pattern:


I trust that the instructions are correct, but I wanted to be sure I could handle it.  Nothing like 4,000 pieces of a quilt you really don't want to make!

It went quite well, even though I had to break midway through to get lunch.

I am pleased and soldiered on to cut another 20 whales from my stash.  Also, the background, which you might be able to see the print here.  (I'm gonna have to be extra careful with this - it's hard to figure out the front from the back.  Which is kinda good, meaning it isn't printed heavily, so I'm happy.  It'll be fine.)


I cut another 20 green and 20 blue.  I THINK I'm going to make the pattern a little smaller (21 whales) from the original (27), but we'll see how it looks when I've got these done.  I have plenty of background and a lot more fabrics to choose from before I have to repeat any.

My plan is to sew some of these today.  I think I can chain-piece each step since each whale is just a single fabric.  So maybe I won't sew any whole whales, but I'll make progress.

I hope.

Because today I also want to make a stop at my local quilt shop for fabric!  My guild is doing a mystery quilt next Monday and while I have a lot of stash, this requires at least one-yard cuts and I don't have much in my stash, never mind stuff that coordinates.  (Also, with a mystery, stuff like directional or large prints are frowned upon.)  I'm hoping the shop owner (also our current guild president - crazy lady!) has seen the finished quilt and can help guide me in fabric choices.

Also today is round one of school shoe shopping.  As we do every year, we take all the nieces and nephews on the hubby's side for good school (gym) shoes.  Today the two youngest are on deck.  Tomorrow, after work, I have three more.  And next week three more.  School seems to be starting WAY early this year, but things have changed since I was a kid, so we roll with it.

Cat hammocks and toys continue to be worked on, but they, like everything else, haven't gotten as much attention recently.  I hope this week I can break out of this hubby-vacation mode and get back to some of my normal routine?

Happy quilting!
Katie

6 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Sounds like you have an interesting week ahead - HAVE FUN!! - ;))

Cathy said...

I love your Preppy the Whale and can’t wait to see that quilt develop. Just keep those adorable fishes you sew away from the whales! (Wink). How sweet of you to buy the gym shoes for your nieces and nephews! That is a big expense!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Cute dishes, and I love the whale!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oups, *fishes, of course!

Canuck Quilter said...

Have fun with the whales quilt. It's going to be cute! Good job bringing a little random kindness into your coworker and kitties' lives :) And a pig roast? Sounds like fun. Last and only time I experienced one of those was 40 years ago in Ontario. You'd think after almost 20 years in Iowa I would have had a repeat...

Ruth said...

The picture of Toby is really cool! It reminds me of some cat fabric that I couldn't resist. Maybe I posted it, but can't remember, it was a long time ago. It had cat faces all over in bright colors and the eyes were great. I kind of wish I still had some. It was fun to put scraps from some of it into scrap quilts. The whale block is great!