Every day I say to myself "Self, you should blog today."
And then I don't.
Today, I am.
I don't have a lot finished, but I have gotten a lot done in the last few days. I came home Friday and started a list. The list is two sticky notes long. Most of the items are crossed off (to be fair, some were things like "wash dishes" or "fold laundry"), but those that are left are the big ones. Bind and label quilts, for example.
Last weekend I quilted my challenge quilt. I hate it less now. I still can't show it to you, but I think it's safe to show you this:
The back of my AQS guild challenge quilt. The pink is also on the front, but the other two fabrics are leftovers from other projects. It feels good to use stuff up - and it kinda coordinates...
This quilt is bound and the hanging sleeve is made and pinned on. The label is also made and waiting for attachment.
This past weekend, in addition to a huge amount of work on promoting my guild's upcoming quilt show, I quilted TWO quilts! Not one, but two!
First, I loaded the hedgehogs. I had been procrastinating quilting this one because I just didn't know how. The original quilt wasn't done in a way I liked, so I took it to my guild for suggestions. Quite a few were made and helped me get past my quilter's block (you know, like writer's' block?). It forced me to think outside my norm and by the time I got the first row of hedgehogs done, I was having fun.
I don't have a photo of the whole quilt yet, but this is by far my favorite block:
I hope you can see the flower in her hair. Spines?
I took a few other photos of other blocks, but the quilting didn't show up well, so I'll have to get more when I get the whole quilt photographed. Baby is due this month - this quilt is for big sister - so nothing like last minute!
Then, since it wasn't that late and the hubby wasn't demanding dinner, I loaded the baby quilt. I quilted it simply, but have no photos of this one yet either.
That was Saturday. Sunday I made and attached binding to both of these quilts. And I made labels. My goal was to get things to a point where, during the week, I could come home from work and relax and watch a movie and work on handwork stuff. I made my goal.
Last night I got about 3/4 of the way around the hedgehogs, but not without breaking a needle. HAND SEWING I broke a needle. I was using it to pull a knot tight and it snapped. Now I'll be the first to admit I don't buy fancy-fancy needles for anything, but this one had me scratching my head. I didn't think I was THAT strong!
Sunday, I also opened the next row-by-row box. We exchanged Thursday and I was excited to get into the box, but know I have a month to get this done and other projects are more pressing. But I did snap a photo of the original row:
Included in the box are a lot of Kaffe Fasset prints and stuff that coordinates. The gal with this row is a realtor, so she's asked for houses and things of that nature. I know what I want to do, but much like the last box, I may be kicking myself before it's over. But you all should know by now that I manage to pick the thing with the most pieces every time, so nothing new here!
The last new thing is that my guild is doing another challenge-type project. Our VP, in charge of programs like this, is teaching us how to recreate blocks by moving colors, direction of shapes and whatnot. Our homework for this week was to pick a block we like and play with color placement and such. I chose Blackford's Beauty because I think it has a lot of potential. Maybe too much? I've done my homework (and may do a little more if time permits), but I'm excited to see what's next. She shared some quilts she and other members had done with this technique about 8 years ago and they were gorgeous. I can only hope to have something half that pretty when we're done!
(I figured out how to make a bat with this block, by the way. Apparently that last mystery quilt I made was not the only one capable of producing bats simply with color placement... But knowing I could make bats doesn't mean I AM going to make bats...but it would be amusing...)
So that's what I've been up to. Reading blogs, too, but on my "smart" phone, so comments aren't too easy. It looks like a few of our lost APQ bloggers are returning, so I'm very excited to see what you all are up to lately.
Time to get back to that binding. It's not going to sew itself on, but I can assure you if someone can invent self-sewing binding, it will be a money maker!