Monday, March 25, 2024

a little of all the things

Okay, maybe not ALL the things, but a lot of the things!

The stitch book project continues and I'm through day 66.  Two thirds done!


Day 60, end of this page -  I think this will be my cover.


Day 61 - a piece of fabric a guild member gave all of us just before she moved to Arizona.  We all got a 6" square, but for this I trimmed the top a bit to make it more realistic.  And added some spines.


Day 62 - some flowers - a bit crooked, but that's okay.  The ones the glue on cacti at WalMart are also usually crooked.  (I wonder if they have a cat helping?)


Day 63 - a lot more spines


Day 64 - a quickie with just one more flower.


Day 65 - last day on this page and despite the hubby's idea it needed a coyote and roadrunner, it just got a few stars.  Lots of time spent making spines earlier on this page makes this shorter day feel less like cheating.


Day 66 and the start of page...um...13?  I'll add more black to the yellow piece, but this was beyond my 15 minutes if you count all the time I spent trying to untie knots in my thread.  I'll start a new skein with the next stitching and I really hope it isn't black DMC thread that's the problem, but that one skein of black DMC thread.

Moving on, the Two Colour mystery saw step three this week.


Not much, but I'm sewing units together that I made in a previous step, so that's a good sign, right?  And there's still a little time to sign up if you want to make the quilt - it's free for now, but won't be forever.

And lastly, the Friends All Around quilt saw a lot of progress this week.  I mentioned  last week that I had nine more blocks cut out and ready to sew - those got done.


At this point (despite my camera STILL not liking to take true-color photographs), I was all-in.  Too many to turn back, so I went through my stash again and even remembered one white with pink rosebuds that I had put in a box to get rid of that would work!

I got started cutting, thinking I'd do another set of nine, but I just kept going until I had all 18 cut and then mixed and matched to be ready whenever I got a chance to sew again.  That was yesterday and it was a marathon!


The colors are closet to true here, but still not quite right.  BUT!  This is a stack of 36 blocks ready for layout.  I thought I might get to it today, but today was the hubby's annual trek to Bass Pro Shops to buy all the lures his heart desires.  He gets gift cards for Christmas and his birthday, so once a year, about this time of year, we make the drive and he gets to go crazy.  He gets what he thinks he'll need to get him through the summer (and for the most part it does) and we get lunch and then head back home.

So...I have not sewn anything today and the day is nearly over.  Well, the part of that I have enough mental focus and daylight to sew.  No rush.  The baby was born Tuesday.  I'll be late.  Oh well.

The other day I decided to read in my sewing room chair.  It's nice up there - it snuggles around me and the kitties join in and it's a nice way to spend a few hours.

Toby took my lap...


He doesn't snuggle often, but when he does - holy cow, he's a phenomenal snuggler.

Salem joined me in the poof just to the right of Toby...


(Pardon my mess in the bookcase behind/in front of her.)

Salem is also an extraordinary snuggler.

And with that, I probably need to go figure out dinner for the hubby and I.  Here's to hoping later this week I'll get time to sew, but the next two days I have to work, so not looking good till Thursday.  Maybe by then the Bramble Blooms project will have decided to speak to me and tell me how to make it less crazy ugly?

Happy quilting!
Katie

2 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I really enjoyed my visit here this morning. You have really interesting projects on the go and they each are moving along. I also like to have a variety of stitching projects and try to not have them guilt me if they are not being finished in a certain time or whatever. I love how you and hubby support each other's hobbies. Happy Stitching from me!

Nancy said...

Oh, gosh, Katie, your stitch book pages are so fun. I really love the cacti with the extra prickers or thorns, whatever they're called, and the flowers on top.
But then the page with the birds is fabulous, too!
Regarding the black DMC thread.... Was it embroidery thread? Did you have the knot at the right end? Sometimes the twist of the thread makes a difference when end should have a knot. Whenever I keep getting knots, I make that switch. It usually helps.
Your Friends All Around looks both fun and challenging. Your curves are perfect.
My daughter so wants her cats to snuggle, and none of them do. Well, one of them, the littlest, will lie in my lap if I'm sitting watching TV.