Monday, April 3, 2023

where did my week go?

It seems like I was constantly busy last week, but can't really figure out where all the time went.

Yes, a few shifts at work, but what else?

I suppose I should at least share the quilty stuff that happened because at least I can account for that!

First up, this week we were assigned to cut all the fabrics for the Radical Cassettes quilt along and make the first block (cassette).


(This photo looks blurry...ugh...stupid computers.)

I changed some things around and used fewer colors, so it was a bit of an adventure to get everything cut properly, but I THINK I've got it all.  I hope!

Then I moved on to sewing the first cassette.  Lots of pieces.  Lots of steps.


I like it!

I was worried about the green woven-look fabric, being directional, but I think it's okay.  I'll use it again, in different places, but I think it will work out.  (I guess we'll see, right?)

This pattern had a LOT of excess fabric for all the colors except that woven green.  I'm not sure if I mis-cut things or missed something (the designer gave us a heads-up that the printed pattern was missing a few things after she had reformatted it), but I managed to make a whole cassette without having to go back and cut more, so I think I'm probably good.

This week will be the second (there are five), but I'm not sure if I'll get to it today or not.  Other chores to be done, you know.

Next up, in the quilt along scheme, are the birds.  Another set (the third) of nine this week.


I was racing the clock on Friday to get these done.  I was having inner ear/jaw/throat pain and called the doctor (after waiting about 10 days to see if it would just go away on its own because doctor visits are such a hassle) Friday at 11 and they had an opening at noon!  (I was hoping for mid-week this week, at best.)  So that took a bit of my day away from me, but the visit was in and out fast, the doc diagnosed the problem quickly and was able to send me off with instructions for an over-the-counter med.  And it's working!  The pain isn't gone, but it's WAAAY better just four doses in.

Meanwhile, I sewed through the pain on Friday and got these gals done.

I think I have eight more to go and then top construction begins.

Finally, on the tiger front...


I really meant to get more done.  Honest, I did.  I have no idea where my time went.  But only four parts this week is pretty sad.  12 more to go, though, so I can see the end.  (I'm not looking forward to sewing the sections together, but that should be easier than the individual sections.)

I haven't started any of the other quilts I mentioned last week.  I'm trying to keep the number going at once to a minimum and with two quilt alongs happening, which mean deadlines, they get priority.  But that also means they get done faster (maybe?) because I have a set schedule.

Instead, I decided to make another quilt.  One of the guys I work with, an older guy working for fun in his retirement, had a stroke a few months back.  I think I've mentioned him before about seeming a grumpy, feisty guy, but when you get to know him he's not so bad after all.  The stroke, at first, was questionable, but as he quickly recovered to almost his normal self, he decided he wanted to come back to work.  He's a hard worker, so what boss is going to say no to that?  As the recovery progressed, he realized that his stamina is extremely diminished and there is no way he can work on his feet, lifting heavy things, all day.  So he is retiring once again, but we miss him.  There has been talk of getting together with him and a crew of coworkers, informally, for dinner with him.  Maybe this will be a regular thing, maybe it will be a retirement-type sendoff.  But I think he needs a quilt.  So I went searching (maybe that's where some of my time went?) and decided on this pattern (Blockstep).  I ordered the pattern yesterday, but until I get it and can figure out if I can do it withOUT a jelly roll, I'm in limbo.

Meantime?  I've got a few other projects to work on.

I should probably go do that.

Happy quilting!
Katie

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It's funny how some weeks just slip away - but it looks like you did quite a bit! The "Blockstep" pattern would probably be easier to make WITH a jelly roll - since the strips are already cut and color coordinated - but you can always cut your own strips from your stash, I'm looking forward to see it come together - ;))

Ruth said...

I checked out the pattern - Blockstep - and really like it! I might think about ordering it, especially since it comes in several sizes and she says it's OK to sell as long as her name is added as designer. And she says you can use your own stash, so I think the squares could be scrappy. I love the birdies too! I am going to try to do a couple posts soon, so I won't say a lot here. I have been too busy to do them, what with computer problems and needing to do a newsletter for my quilt guild - finally done.