Monday, February 13, 2023

one block...okay, eight blocks...

First the one block...a new adventure...


A quilty friend brought this to lunch last Monday and offered it to me, saying I like to work with small pieces.  This block finished at 8" - so any of you out there can do that math and see these pieces weren't THAT small.  But it was a kit she got for something (she can't remember) to promote Accuquilt.  Can't say from this I'm any sort of convert, but it's a cute block.  Now what to do with it?!

Then there are the other seven.  For the Color Explorer Challenge.  An older new adventure.


Day 6: piglet


Day 7: ocean wave

(With sharks.  This is PERFECT!)


Day 8: tangerine


Day 9: orchid

(Sassy little lady posing for her photo!)


Day 10: shamrock


Day 11: rose

(I swear I didn't know I had this many unicorns in my stash.)


Day 12: ultramarine

(Cheating a little on this one, but apparently my stash of blue focus prints is lacking.)

I hope to get today's done this morning, but am planning to head out soon to sew with friends, so it might be later today.  This morning has been a whirlwind - so far I've been grocery shopping, have a loaf of banana bread in the oven (due out soon - gotta type fast) and have beef stew (from scratch) in the crock pot for dinner.

But first I need to share some cat hammock goodness...


Freddie would like you to know that the pile is now small enough (and the extra chair is being stored near enough) that he can help flatten the fabrics for me.  And supervise from across the room.

That's not the fun stuff, though.


This cracks me up.  This is my oversized chair that lives in the sewing room.  Usually it's covered with a crocheted blanket, a quilt and often a cat poof-bed.  (Because cats.)  I removed all that to show you this.  This fabric, bottom of the photo, came in the latest hammock stash.  This couch has been mine since about 2000.  So darn close!

I sewed it up into a few cat hammocks - they can enjoy the beauty of a bygone era of furniture along with me!


Finn would also like to help you visualize the lessening of the hammock stash.  Such a poser, this one.


Freddie opted to enjoy the sunshine this round.  He loves the sunshine.

Meanwhile, I selected this fabric (okay, it was next on the stack) to make more hammocks.


Not too bad at first glance, right?

But then...get a little closer...


I'm not sure if I should be excited that my artistic skills, about equal here, could be put to use to design fabric, or if I should be scared of this mutant bird?

I'm sure the kitties won't mind and this is a nice sturdy fabric for hammocks, so onward with the sewing!

Toby, meanwhile, was not worried in the least about ANY of this sewing, except to make sure he was near his momma.


(You might notice the smidgen of sofa fabric sticking out, but also note the afghan, quilt and poof-bed all adorning said chair.)

And that concludes my tour of sewing this week.  I also read a lot and weaseled my hubby into taking me out to dinner a few times...it was not my most awesome week, but all is well.

Happy quilting!
Katie

PS I might have a finish next week.  I'm taking the two quilts that still need binding (remember last month how I took three and had big goals?) and should be able to finish at least one.  So yay!

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Yay for a possible finish - and great blocks And hooray for your fabric flatteners and Toby - ;))