Monday, February 6, 2023

a new challenge

I'm still over here sewing cat hammocks like a madwoman and the pile doesn't seem to be getting much smaller.

(You know how the upper fabrics compress the lower ones?  I think that's what happened, but all is well.  Just more goodies for the kitties in the end, right?)

But then this Color Explorer challenge popped upon Instagram...

...and got me thinking...

I wanted to do it, but what could I do?  I mean, I meant to do something quilty (this is intended as any art form challenge and I could do anything else, too, but at heart I'm a quilter) and then it hit me - the Polaroid quilts that I've seen for many years (that were probably more popular a few years back) would be perfect!  And something I've wanted to try for a while.

And while I'm at it, why not make them look like they float?  Another idea I'd been wanting to try.

So I gave myself permission to start another project.

I went looking and the internet did not disappoint with plenty of helpful information regarding both ideas. This post has a few links at the bottom that are what I used.  The blocks are smaller than I initially imagined, but after thinking about it for a minute, I like it.

So off I went to the stash to find something pink - flamingo to be exact - for the first block.

That was fun and from a bit of a distance, though the block is just sitting on what will be the sashing/background fabric, it already seems to float.

The next day was hydrangea.

It looks a bit washed out here for color, but it's close and I'm counting it.

Day three was light lime.

Again, the color may not be exact, but I'm focusing on MAKING something rather than being perfect.

Day four was marigold.

This was not my favorite flower in this fabric, but I had just a small piece left and none of the other flowers had enough fabric around them to allow a proper centering and a seam allowance, so it is what it is.

And finally, day five was scarlet.

Again this red isn't quite the right shade, but looking forward there wasn't going to be a chance to use this fabric again, so I went with it.  Because why would you NOT want a fishing penguin in a quilt?

The color today is piglet.  I haven't made it up to the sewing room yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to find another pink to make that happen.  I seem to have a lot of pinks.

Freddie, meanwhile, has been enjoying the sunshine...

 He gets so warm laying in the sun, I worry about him, but he seems to enjoy it.  Possibly he is also solar-powered, as he gets the zoomies often after napping like this.

The cat hammocks have not been without drama this week.  First I played bobbin chicken and lost...

(it looks closer than it was - I needed to double back and make an X through the inner part of the tab to secure it, but still...sheesh!)

And then the next one was a thicker fabric and when trying to sew over the big hump where the tab goes in...

I guess I needed to change the needle anyways.

I had to get the pliers out to get that tip out of the fabric!  It was buried in there - that's how thick that seam was!  But, knock on wood, this is the first needle in a year and a half of sewing cat hammocks that I've broken.  (Not the first needle I've used, though - I change them pretty regularly.)

Today I probably won't get much sewing done outside of the color explorer challenge block, as I'm heading north to the big city to have lunch with some friends.  I've got all my other chores done for the day, so I'm good to go!  But my week is looking like much the same - cat hammocks galore!

Happy quilting!


A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your blocks and your post - as usual! I had to laugh at "So I gave myself permission to start another project." and at Freddie being "solar-powered" - ;))

Preeti said...

Cheers for fishing penguins. After all, you needed a break (just a wee bit) from the cats :-D Who knew, piglet could be a color. I am sure you will find something close to it. Happy sewing, Katie.