Monday, September 12, 2022

quick and short

I feel like I should have more to show for the last week...well, 5 days...but I don't.

I didn't sew much, though I did get the back pieced for the quilt that is calling to me, so that's progress, right?!

I also picked up an extra shift at work.  We're getting all the winter wear out and set up and that is a big job, so I spent an extra day unpacking countless boxes.  (A box holds maybe 6 winter coats, so boxes go fast, but that just means you do a lot more of them.)

I did choose a pattern for my niece's second baby quilt and decided to pull from my stash first.


There is a story behind the pattern, but I'll save that for another day.

Also, if this all came from my stash, I have a problem.  I'm not a stash quilter.  My stash is usually smaller pieces, left over from other projects.  That's what these all are, but...well...sometimes I overbought or I changed my mind.  I need to use up some stuff - this is a good start!

I've also been trying to figure out what kind of cat toys I'd like to make this year.  I debated doing them at all, but a coworker gave me some catnip he grew and dried for me, so I think I'd better.  I think that was a hint!

This is my second idea...a bird...


He was a free pattern online, but that was another whole debacle to get to.

I think his head is too small.  Otherwise, he's not bad.  Except you stuff him through his tail and since I reduced the pattern size, it's nearly impossible to get him stuffed.

So I'll be thinking about this and debating if I want to do a lot more of these.  I need to decide soon, though, because I want to spread out the effort and save my hands.  And sanity.

(The first idea was a fortune cookie and while it went pretty well and fast, it looks too homemade.  I know that sounds silly, but I'd like these to look a bit more polished when I hand them out.)

But that's about it.

I'm currently baking the first batch of cookies in my new oven.  Things are not as perfect as the old one, so I guess this means I'll be downloading the owner's manual.  (But they taste just fine.)

Happy quilting!
Katie

2 comments:

Carol R. said...

I can testify that the cookies are good... even better than good! :) I was trying to think what your bird reminded me when I saw it... finally realized it makes me think of a Dr. Seuss character - which is not a bad thing - just different lol.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Can't wait to hear the story behind the pattern - you have a good start on the fabrics! Cat toys - maeke some more fish - they were "easy" - and cats like fish - ;))