Wednesday, September 7, 2022

not much sewing, lots of random

After four weeks of vacation, the hubby finally went back to work last week.  Of course I was scheduled three of those days, but I finally felt like I could get back to my routine again.

I didn't get a lot done, what with three shifts at work in there (normally I would have one or maybe two and another on the weekend), but I did manage to get some things done.

The garden is producing like mad, this time it's tomatoes!


(Okay, and a few cucumbers still, too!)

This is a pretty large tub...part of the swag we get when attending quarterly meetings at work.  (We've also been given a lot of stuff no one wants, but I have a nice folding lawn chair and some t-shirts, too.)  It worked out nicely to collect a lot of tomatoes.

We filled it again about halfway a few days later when canning tomatoes.  I got 12 quarts, which isn't much, but it's also nice to do a few batches and then take a break for a week, rather than doing 84 quarts in one day like we did one year!

I'll be out collecting more again this week and plan to do another round later this week.  These will be delicious this winter in soups and stews, though we are eating a few with salads and burgers right now!

And my new stove worked great!

(You may remember we made pickles with an overabundance of cucumbers a few weeks back.  Both have been tested and are DELICIOUS!  Particularly the bread and butter variety.  The dill are a little on the salty side, but otherwise very good.)

This past weekend, we did some shopping.  The hubby needed some new shirts and, being not only tall, but also, well, um...well-fed...he needs tall big sizes.  A 3X isn't as easy to find in the first place, but when you add in his height, there aren't a lot of stores that carry his size.  But there is one - Penny's - and he always fights me to go there.  And we always find a lot of good, basic choices that he likes.  He got about 7 new shirts and some new pants.  Expensive, but needed.

While we were out, I purchased fabric for a new quilt!

Remember these?


The tiger was purchased for the hubby.  And he has decided he wants it made.

When we travel, we often take quilts with us and replace comforters on beds wherever we're staying with our own quilts.  This is what he wants with this quilt.  It will need to be bigger than the pattern, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  First we need to see how big those dimension really are.  (And when I say "we" I mean him.)

The fabrics?


The fabric on the bottom will be the background and the rest...well, I'm pretty sure you can figure out where most of them will go!

I still have to photocopy the pattern, as this is like the horse, where it is printed on 11x17 papers and double-sided to boot.  The hubby can do that at work, but I need to remember to send it with him.  (He leaves by 5am, so I need to remember the night before and I'm not always that organized by 8pm!)

I haven't actually done any quilty sewing, but I was getting near the end of this pile of hammock fabric...


...so I powered through the last few and now have this rather large bin of finished hammocks to turn in!


(For size reference here, Finn, a 14-pound cat, climbed in and had much room to roll around when it was empty.  So I'd say this is about 2x2 Finns, comfortably.)

I had also started a new batch of catnip toys using my mom's stash...


...and got about halfway through before I ran out of stuffing.  Even the donation from a quilty friend wasn't enough.  I got more stuffing, but then the hubby was home a lot and these are nice to do while just sitting on the couch in the evening, watching TV, but that just wasn't happening.

But I decided if I was going to turn in the hammocks, the toys needed to go, too.  So I started sewing.  I spent most of Monday stuffing and sewing these shut.  It was just after 8pm when I finished them ALL!


This is also a large box, but not quite as large as the tote.  I'd say 1x2 Finns, comfortably.

It is closed up and on a high shelf in the sewing room because there is a LOT of catnip in there!

With all that activity Monday, I didn't get a chance to blog, so I'm late this week, but it's just as well because I won some goodies from the Positivity Quilt Along and they were waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday!


Thank you so much Preeti and Bernie!  Thank you for coordinating and hosting the quilt along, but also thank you for the goodies!  This is honestly not why I do it, but it is nice to get a little something in return.  I look forward to next year!

And finally, my weather app on my phone was predicting a real heat wave today...


...so I got up early and got my chores done.  You know, before it's too hot to do literally anything.  At 11am it's only 64 and it has been revised to a more reasonable 80 since this screenshot, but it made me giggle anyways.  I hope it's predicted to be cooler wherever you are!

Time to go do more of the odds-and-ends chores that got pushed aside when the hubby was home all day every day.  (He needs a hobby that is not just me before he retires!)

Eventually I'll get back to quilting, right?  (But there is one that is calling to me to be longarmed, so maybe sooner than later?)

Happy quilting,
Katie

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

FUN post - as usual - with lots of tomatoes - cucumbers - new patterns - hammocks - cat toys - and goodies! I giggled at the 150 - and 2x2 Finns - I'll have to add that unit of measurement to my list - LOL - ;))

Rebecca said...

Oh its going to be fun watching you do that tiger!!
Will you piece this using the traditional foundation paper piecing or have you tried the freezer paper piecing? Just did Ann Shaws Rooster and so glad I learned about the freezer paper technique.