Monday, September 26, 2022

no quilts...

No quilts to share today.  I had big ideas last week, but nothing actually happened.

Quilt-wise.

I did a second trial with the birds, trying to make the heads bigger.


I think I just succeeded in making his head pointier, so I'm going back to the original version.

But this guy I got creative with the fabrics and stitched his tail instead of stuffing it.  I like this way better.


Less stuffing, easier to close.  More or less.

Onward to mass-production!


Ten here ready for stuffing and closing, but one had a blow-out on his head (I guess I didn't catch the seam well enough!), so I have to decide if I want to try to turn him back inside out and fix that or just call it a learning experience.

(Definitely leaning towards learning experience - turning these once is enough!)

I also turned in a big bin of cat hammocks and toys.  I believe I mentioned the bin was 2x2 Finns and the box of toys was 1x2 Finns, but never did go take those photos!

While I was dropping them off, my volunteer asked me to work on a special project...

The group does adoption events frequently and they wanted some hammocks to put in the crates with the kitties just at the adoption events.  Something to help brand the group and make it look cohesive.

You know I agreed, right?


She gave me 2.5 yards each of the solid pink and the polka dotted fabrics and little did she know, but that amount is PERFECT for 3 large-ish hammocks each.  But I decided to get creative and do them reversible, which meant six exactly matching hammocks!

Part of my reasoning was a worry that the dots would show through and look bad.  But this also worked out nicely that they can choose how to coordinate.

I know these will be better taken care of, as they will be just used for show, but it didn't matter.  They got the same attention to detail as all the others.

I dropped them off Friday afternoon, hoping to get to see them in action on Saturday, as they often post from adoption events on Facebook, but that didn't happen.  I hope that means they were super busy finding forever homes for lots of lucky kitties!

I didn't mention to her that I was out of fabric, so I'm currently waiting on that.  She lives about 25 minutes from me, so until one of us is in the area of the other at a convenient time, I'll just work on other things.

Today I have a lot of chores planned, but I also have a yellow cake in the oven.  It will eventually become homemade Twinkies.  Or so I hope...  The hubby was watching Food Network yesterday and these looked pretty amazing.  And I have ALL the ingredients in my pantry!  I'll have to remember to let you know how they come out.

(They are going to work, so I'm sure no one there will complain.  But also they may not give me a fair assessment of my efforts.  Generally they just inhale the sweets and say thank you, but I'm not sure if they actually taste them!)

Maybe I'll get to quilting this week, but the birds aren't going to make themselves.  And I still have to research and figure out a better spray baste stuff for the tiger quilt.  (Maybe I'll remember to do that while the computer is on right now?!)

Not to worry.  I'm keeping busy.  Work.  Reading.  It's cooler here, so cooking heartier meals...which take longer...  Baking.  Kitties.

I did wake up inspired to quilt an older quilt, but we'll see how that turns out since I won't have a chance to actually get to it until Wednesday...

In the meantime...

Happy quilting!
Katie

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Busy, busy - as usual! I like the idea of stitching the tails instead of filling them - and your polka dotted hammocks are cute. Enjoy your homemade Twinkies - ;))