Monday, May 2, 2022

not quilts, but sewing

I have not sewn a quilty stitch all week.

Well, batting was involved in a few projects, but nothing that could truly be called a quilt.

First was a not-very-exciting project of making reusable bags for produce.  I've been tossing this around in my head for a while and finally decided to go for it.  A quick trip for some netting and some type of string (I ended up with paracord) and I was ready to tackle a very annoying fabric.  It slips and slides and pins don't stay in.  And my machine turned a zig-zag stitch into a little pile of ick, but it held.  So I'm calling it good.


I ended up making four in this size (I used a bag from the store to get an approximate size, but after shopping today, four apples could have been joined by a dozen more, I think, and still all fit in these about 14x14" bags!) and two that are larger to accommodate corn.  Because it is almost that season!

The next hardest part was sealing the paracord ends.  I used matches for the first set, but then found a candle for the next four.  But you gotta hold really still and not breathe or you'll be chasing the flame.

I'm glad they're done.

I'm not volunteering to make any more.

Next up, my aunt had seen my needle pincushion over on Instagram and commented she would like one.  So I asked what size needles she used and, with her favorites known, I set out to the scraps and decided to whip up two.  One to share maybe?  Or one for the longarm and one for the little machine?


They are due to arrive in the mail today, so I think it's safe to post here.  (Hopefully she gets the mail before reading this!)  I also had to fill out the package with some "packing material" so I stopped by my local quilt shop on the way to the post office - they're just two blocks apart, so that is convenient.

With those done, I could tackle the actual hot pads for iron skillets for my sister-in-law.  I picked up some green bias tape when I was out getting the netting and cord (actually, I went to get the bias tape, so made it worth the trip getting the other stuff), and even having everything, I was still procrastinating.  These take more work than I would like, considering what they are, but I was determined.  And once I had (way too much) bias tape (math is apparently hard?), I needed to make them.


This fabric reminds me of Minecraft (something her boys have enjoyed playing in the past, though I'm not sure they do any more), and their kitchen has green accents, so my stash did good!

Oh, and the tutorial I used is here.  Just in case any of you want to tackle this.  I did get faster as I made them, but still.  I'm glad this is done.

With that all done, I was tidying up my sewing area and realized I still have a pile of hammocks waiting to be turned in.  My volunteer and I had a miss a few weeks back (kitties sometimes need rescuing and our plans go out the window, which is absolutely right), so I contacted her again.  We made a plan to meet, but then she sent out an email to those of use who are sewing, touching base, but also mentioning that having some catnip pillow toys at events to offer as a pay-what-you-like donation strategy, and my mind started churning.

I have a lot of conversation-type prints left from mask-making and quilt backs.  I mean, I've been quilting like 25 years, so it's just inevitable, right?  And there are leftovers from hammocks that, while not as cute, could also be used.

And then the wheels really started turning.

What if I could put a little ribbon tag in the side, with the rescue logo?  Somehow that makes it seem more professional to me, but it would also maybe help remind folks where that toy came from...and maybe even in a rare case remind them to donate again?

So an hour or so later on Pinterest and many links visited, I had a good idea of how this can be done and how much it might cost to have someone do it for me.  It was much cheaper to do it myself, particularly since I THOUGHT I had everything, so I dug in.  (The best tutorial I found is here and basically covers everything all the others did, but in one place - the video near the top is great.  Sorry, though, as the page loads slow and has a LOT of ads.)

First I had to make a file.  Then print and make sure it would work.  Then I realized I had no white ribbon.  I thought I did.

UGH.

Good thing it was time for lunch, so I could stop for some ribbon while I was out...

Back home and I printed labels and used some leftover hammock fabric to make a couple.


I accidentally ironed the labels on opposite ways for my two trials, so they're in different spots, but I'm sure the kitties won't mind.

But at this point, the hubby put a stop to things.  He mentioned that I needed to make sure this was okay with the organization.  And while it kinda deflated my balloon, it was a good point.  So I contacted my volunteer, sending this photo, to ask if it was okay.

She loved it and has passed it on to the gal in charge for final approval.

And then she mentioned that she was on the way to my area to pick up a mama and babies that needed rescuing.  And could I meet her in 25 minutes instead of Tuesday to pick up the hammocks and bring me another stack of fabrics?

Sure, why not.


She handed me a large paper shopping bag filled with fabrics.  She had washed and folded them nicely for me, which was awesome.  I don't mind doing the washing, but it is nice to have that done already.  Since the bag was already trying to escape its duty (it was kinda beyond what it was designed for!), I set them all on a shelf in my sewing room.  A spot that has been dedicated to hammock fabric for a while anyways.  Hammock construction will begin anew soon.

And when she was done with the kittens and back home, she got word that the tags were approved (loved, even), so I got busy.


Actually, I had been cutting pieces while I waited, knowing I could skip the labels if they weren't wanted.  I was still going to make the pillow toys.

I have no idea how many I have here, but it's a lot.  And I'm sure you all can imagine, I could make a LOT more!

Next up, I need to get the labels transferred onto the ribbon.  That takes a bit of time when doing them in mass quantities, but it's all good.  No quilts are screaming at me and I find it better to have a project I'm excited about to get me into the sewing room and then I can force myself to make the blocks that I'm not excited about, using the fun stuff as a reward!

And really?  I have a lot of quilts.  Both finished and unfinished.  So starting another doesn't seem like a big deal.  Except maybe a baby quilt for a coworker's daughter.  But she isn't due for a while yet and I want to find out if they're going to know if they're having a boy or a girl before I make any big decisions.

But I have a lot going on today - lunch with some friends and then an eye doctor appointment later.  Work the following two days.  So I'm not going to make much progress in the near future, but I might as well go start.  Any progress is good, right?

Happy quilting (and sewing)!
Katie

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I love all the things you do for your local rescue organization! I used to print labels when I had an ink jet printer, but we only have laser printers now, so I can’t do it. Can you explain more about how you do yours? Anyway, I still do occasional kennel quilts, but for some reasons the locals seem to prefer fleece. Go figure…

PS - I love those skillet handle cozies!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You're a busy little bee! LOVE your idea for the labels for the toys - and using the fun stuff as a reward - ;))

Ruth said...

Sometimes it's nice to do some "regular" sewing instead of quilting. I make the pot handles to sell at craft shows, but I don't use binding. Mine probably don't look as good as the ones you made. But I sell them for $4 and people do buy them. I use them myself and just keep them on the pan (cast iron). I have 2 quilt guild meetings this week. This morning and Wednesday morning. Today I'm taking the string quilt that I started last month during Lori's (humble quilts) class at my guild. We are supposed to bring what we have done so we can take pictures and send to Lori. I am almost finished with the top of a twin size quilt. I don't know when I will get it quilted and bound. I am quilting another donation quilt as I get the urge and am almost finished with it. I'm sure pictures will appear on my blog eventually! Happy spring!