Sunday, November 7, 2021

cancel that last start and let's try again!

I made two more horses.
The first one was okay:



The second one...well...


...that gold looked pretty good in the store...

I love the brown, though.

But these are getting worse, not better.  And I don't want to make a quilt with mostly brown horses.  So I was struggling and decided to set this aside while I pondered things.  Should I just make rainbow horses?  Fantasy colored horses?

A few friends suggested I look for alternate patterns.  I was hesitant, but with no other project in the works and my hands tired from sewing fishies shut (darn it, no photo again...), I decided to look around with more purpose.

I found a pattern.


If you scroll down in the link, there is an alternate colorway that is less rainbow and actually has a horse, not a unicorn.  And while I think the rainbow with a unicorn is fantastic, I'm trying to keep myself under control here.  I'm not sure that is the right option for this kid.

Today I ordered the pattern.

And bought some fabrics:


Some of the fabrics purchased for the first quilt will be used here.  And some of these may be swapped out with stash fabrics.  But you get a feel for the colors I want (the horsey fabrics are more near the bottom) and I'm more excited about this.

I'm washing the fabrics now, but ordered a paper pattern (my printer is sometimes goofy and doesn't seem to understand what size things should be when I say "actual size" or maybe it doesn't know how small or large it actually is...anyways, it gets fussy and this needs to be printed on sheets larger than I think my little printer can even run through...if I even had sheets that large, so...), so now I have to wait maybe a week.

I have plenty of time.  This is for graduation and that's not till probably May.  I don't have an exact date, but I can guesstimate pretty easily.  I mean, kids have been graduating from high school for a few years at around the same time, right?

In the meantime, you can help me decide which quilts to submit for my guild show this coming March (fingers crossed it won't be cancelled again for 2022!).  I've assembled a (poor) collage of 12 fairly recent finishes.  I don't want to have so many quilts entered it will seem to be all about me, so I need to cut it down by probably half...


There are so many more in the unquilted pile, and probably some of them will be done by March, but the entry form is due in a week and a half.  And it's not like I don't have plenty here!  (And the unquilted pile can be a cache for 2023!)

So which do you think should be entered?  I have my favorites, but I'll let you help me - what would you like to see in a show?

And now it's time to go iron the 4000 new pieces of fabric I've purchased...I think the dryer just shut off...

Happy quilting!
Katie

7 comments:

LeAnn R said...

I really like 1, 3, 5, and 9. It would be a good show with any of the ones you have pictured.

Carol R. said...

2,4,5,8.11 and 12

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I like them all - but if I had to choose - then #2, 3, 9 and 11 - with #11 being my favorite - ;))

nestki said...

They are all wonderful but I hope number nine will go to the show for sure.

---"Love" said...

I'd choose #4, or #11 as my favorites. ---"Love"

Ruth said...

Here's my favorites: 1, 4 and 11

Next would be: 2 and 7

As far as quilt guilds go I have a rather sad story but it turned out well. The first one I joined when I moved here here I stayed with for a few years and I sent out a news letter for every meeting. This was a very small guild and we didn't have much money so we hardly ever had outside speakers. We did do round robins and lots of donation quilts, which was great. Burt our president liked to go on and on about her latest trip or whatever project they had going at their farm and she wasn't friendly to new people. Once when we did have a speaker (an outstanding speaker, owner of a great quilt shop, etc, etc,) she made this speaker wait while she opined about whatever came to mind. It was so rude! We (next door neighbor and craft show partner) had enough by that time and joined quilt guild #2. This one was doing great for about 1 1/2 years until it was election time and the new president started out by setting up a weird kind of self help, new age meeting in one corner of the room. Then covid hit and things went to pot from there. It is slowly recovering and starting in January I will be the secretary. Then! A new guild got started in the next town and the president is a well known quilt teacher - Peggy Gelbrich - yellowhousequilter.com. The first meeting was in September and there were over 50 people there, everything was very well organized with all the founders wearing T-shirts with the name of the guild on it, passed out their first news letter, etc. etc. Even had a speaker!!! They are also going to have a quilt show, but that hasn't been scheduled yet. So, my next door neighbor and I joined, along with another neighbor across the street! So I will be going to 2 guilds at least for a year. One on Monday and the other on Wednesday of the same week! It will be nice to go to at least one very well organized guild!

Laura T said...

I’d go for 9, 11, and 12 as my top 3 choices with 1, 2, and ooo this is getting hard! 3 or 4 to round out a half dozen? You’ve done some awesome work!