Sunday, September 19, 2021

hammocks and block units

 Last week Monday, I put the last stitches in the cat hammocks made from ironing board covers!


After I had them all stacked up for a photo, I decided I should get out my ruler and see just how tall that leaning stack was.  A foot tall!  I tried to count and came up with 23, but I think there may be a few more than that?  They kept trying to fall over, so it wasn't easy to keep track of counting.  However many, it will make a difference in the lives of a few kitties!  I'm struggling to coordinate with my volunteer to get them delivered, but we both have busy lives, so it just takes time.

I'm glad to have them done, even if it was fun to work on them.  Because now I can focus on something else - the School Bus/new quilt!

First up was to sew 196 half square triangles.  A few extra from the graphic of last week, but remember I am straying from the pattern a bit and making a 7x7 layout instead of 6x8, which means one more block.


These took forever to trim, so I did a batch and then something else for a bit and then back for another batch.  I don't want to wear out my cutting arm!

Eventually, they were all done and off I went to find my googly eyes again...


This guy looks very Halloween-y, but the quilt is not.  I mean, yes, it has orange and black in it, but there is also turquoise and yellow.

Next up was strip piecing to make other units and then, being the organized quilter that I can be (I try!), I stacked them all up neatly so I could chain-sew.


And over the next days, I worked on sewing those units into rows - finishing that just before lunch today.


Next up will be sewing the rows into blocks.  There are actually two blocks in this quilt, but the other block is hiding under the first set of rows.  Eventually I'll get a photo where you can see both!

This morning, I cleaned the fridge.  And I mean pull everything out and wash the shelves and toss old stuff that was stuck in the back and then take everything off the top and scrub the outside, too, cleaned.  I figured with grocery shopping being due tomorrow, today was the emptiest it was going to be and my best time to clean.

Toby helped put stuff back neatly.


I had propped the door open to get everything put back and he just climbed right in.  He wasn't trying to get into the food (at least not yet) and was none to happy about being pulled out of there, but no way is letting him be in there safe!  Of course, this was AFTER I cleaned everything, but I'm pretty sure cat fur was bound to drift into there eventually anyways, so it's not like he did much damage!

From what I've just shared, it doesn't look like much of a productive week, but there were other housekeeping and life chores in there.  Never mind a few shifts at work!  But I won't bore you with those.

Well, except maybe that Gabby had her teeth cleaned last week and four were removed.  She has a fairly rare dental disease, so we need to stay on top of that, but once the anesthesia wore off, she seemed to be doing well and knows the sound of the pill bottle means a Churu treat, so she comes running!

And with that, I'm off to decide how to spend a few more hours before the hubby gets up.

Happy quilting,
Katie

No comments: