Sunday, September 26, 2021

completed blocks and not much else

Last week I left you with block parts sewn, but not whole blocks.  In the past week, all I have gotten done is to sew those block parts into whole blocks.



To be fair, there are 49 blocks, so it wasn't a quick task, but it's been a fairly pathetic quilting week if we're being honest.  The next step is making sashing, which is pieced.  And made with the black fabric, so also directional.  And my little brain has just been cringing at the idea of that math.  It's not hard, I just don't like it.  And if I'm not in a math mood, I'd better not try it.  Nothing will go right.

Instead, I decided to create a List of Shame to tally up the Rack of Shame and the Closet of Shame - all the quilts waiting to be longarmed.  I printed just one page and turned off the computer.  I had to turn it back on to print another...



Yep, 38.  Actually 39 because there are two dolly quilts listed in the middle of page one as one entry.  The back for those is one bigger piece, so I can quilt them together, so we're gonna call it one, okay?

But this helps me know where I am with things.  I got out a measuring tape and measured those I didn't have sizes noted elsewhere, so I even know what I need for backing or binding!  (The numbers may not be exactly accurate, but they are within an inch or two and that is fine for purchasing a back.)

The #1 and #2 quilts will probably be done first, as they are for a quilt along and will be donated.  To keep up with that, they need to be finished.

And #26 was just hanging out, with a little idea that it would be given to my high school friend Heather, but it wasn't hollering yet.  And sometimes you need to wait for that holler to know it's time.  Well.  It will be up very soon, as she lost her husband Wednesday.  They're motorcycle folks and he was out riding with his dad and a friend and he was killed.  She stated an "impatient motorist" as the reason, but I don't have more details than that and really don't have the heart to ask for more.  So, it's TIME.  I wish it was a happier reason to send it, but life doesn't always work that way.  So tomorrow, when my local quilt shop is open, I will zip down to see what she has for a back.

The remaining quilts?  They'll get their turn.  A few of them I didn't even remember I still had.  A few I made with intentions that no longer exist (like I was going to put that red and gold quilt on my bed and decorate around it and while I still love the quilt...well...I painted my bedroom grey a few years back...and put a grey and purple quilt on the bed, so...).  And a few were made just because and will continue to wait their turn.

Sadly, I have no more quilt photos, so here is a pic of Gabby viciously attacking the "blanket monster."  It's a good thing the vet trimmed her nails, or I might be minus a hand with her ferocity!


This was later in the evening after she had gone back to the vet for a recheck of her dental work.  She was super angry with me, and is still wary of me if I'm moving, but once I'm in bed, covered up, in my pajamas, I'm safe.  So she comes out to play.  And attack.  And throw things on the floor.  (She refuses to hide out in my sewing room now - probably being put in a carrier twice in just over a week from that room has turned her off - so she has now adopted my bedroom as her safe space.)  I love her so much, but she is still fierce!  And her week later checkup was great.

Last up, I went to a used book sale yesterday.  This one was great.  The one I usually attend on July 4th has been broken up into smaller sales that will happen every few months.  I'm not sure if this will be the long-term new routine or not, but it has some good points that I'm happy with.


$5 gets you a paper grocery sack.  There were so many good candidates, I bought a second bag.  I brought home 40 books.  (I actually had 43, but I gave my mom three for a book exchange thing she does at her quilt retreat.  This is one she runs, so having a few extras for someone who wishes to participate but forgot is never a bad idea.)

I added these to the book stash I picked up a few months back and the stack comes up to my chin.

I think this is more exciting than fabric.  For me.  All the possibilities of good stories!  I read them and donate them back to the sale and someone else can enjoy them - and the library earns money for special programs.  I don't think there's a loser here!

Bonus?  The cats liked the bags!

With that, I think I will go tackle some tiny stars row construction.  I still don't feel like doing directional sashing quilt math.

Or maybe I'll go read a new book?!

Happy quilting!
Katie

PS Don't get me wrong.  New fabric is also exciting.  Maybe books are more so because I can just pick it up and read - no cutting or trimming or quarter inch seams to muddle with?

3 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I am so sorry to hear that Heather lost her husband - please give her a HUGE hug for me. Your bags of books should keep you busy for a while - when you're not quilting and/or snuggling with your furbabies. Let me know if I can help with your directional sashing quilt MATH - that dreaded four-letter word - LOL - ;))

a good yarn said...

That’s very sad for your friend Heather. The quilt is a thoughtful gift. Given that you are working with directional fabric and getting attacked by Gabby and have a mountain of books to enjoy - i thought you were quite productive. The blocks look good and it’s a great pattern. With 39 quilt tops you almost need an assistant to quilt and bind them for you. It should be rather satisfying to mark them off as you finish them.

Ruth said...

I hate to hear about motorcycle accidents. DH used to have one and now DS#1 has one and he sometimes drives it to the Portland airport (1 hour at least) on a highway. We have a new kitty in the neighborhood who must belong to some new neighbor that moved in behind us. I rarely see them so haven't asked if they have a cat. This cat is so cute and very friendly!