Sunday, May 23, 2021

more steampunk and lazy kitties

This week I don't feel like I did much sewing.  Looking back at the photos it looks like I did a fair amount.

Hmmm...

Here are my offerings:

Blocks 25-33


I wasn't sure I would like the one with the bubbles (center), as it is fairly dark, but I love it!

And the one in the bottom left corner - I was trying so hard to make sure directional fabrics were cut properly.  I guess I was napping when that one got cut?  But I think I saved it by paying attention to where the blades went.

Blocks 34-39:


I haven't repeated a purple yet (and I won't), but because I'm reusing the dark greys, things are starting to feel familiar.

I decided to make 10 more blocks and go for a 7x7 straight setting.  At least in my mind.  I haven't laid them out on the design floor yet.  So I spent a chunk of time cutting 10 more blocks and then mass production sewing them.  Today I finished the last seams, but didn't lay them out for a photo.  I just added them to the stack and snapped a quick photo of them all together.  (Before even water spots from the iron dried!)


A piece for the center circle applique is pinned to each block - none of those have been done yet.  If the weather cooperates, I plan to work on them while hosting a front porch quilt show next weekend.  It will keep my hands busy, even when (if?) folks visit.  The weather is predicted to be good, but we also have barn deconstruction to deal with.  The crew finally arrived (the lead guy ended up in this hospital with the nasty virus, so work was understandably delayed while he, thankfully, recovered) for the first time just last weekend and, working only weekends, they have made a dent, but it's a big barn!  Every day they show up, it seems more of our yard and driveway are taken over by stuff!

Today, as I was sewing along, working to finish the last blocks, I looked around my sewing room to find all three of my boy kitties stretched out, lounging on the floor.  I snapped quick photos and then realized I had one of Gabby (the missing kitty - my only girl) from a few days earlier...


(Apparently the collage maker lopped off Toby's nose, despite my efforts!)

Lazy kitties.  Finn (the orange kitty) is usually stretched out as long as he can be, but here he was being conservative.  Not to worry, he rolled over and took over the entire space in front of my ironing board about the time I needed it.  And then attacked my ankle when I tried to work around him.  He was being playful, but when momma has a hot iron, maybe that is not the time?

With the front porch quilt show pending, that means the flower bed and yard need some attention.  I mean, they needed it anyways, but this pushes me to get it done.  So I've spent about an hour out there three of the last four mornings (I had to work that fourth), filling the wheelbarrow with weeds and dead leaves before it gets too hot.  I've made a dent, but have a fair amount to go...

I don't know what direction my quilty efforts will take in the coming week.  I still have the quilt to longarm and the scraps from the sticks, but also a few quilts I've constructed already this year that I'd kinda like to get quilted, too.  I guess we'll see where the wind blows me?

Happy quilting!
Katie

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I love these blocks and your version of them. I envision them as being very difficult to make. Maybe one day I'll try them.
Sweet kitties. Who is the grey tiger?

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Good looking blocks - and cute kitties! I'm looking forward to seeing your front porch quilt show - ;))

---"Love" said...

I really like the quilt block on the top of the stack; my colors for sure. I'll be watching for when you get them into a flimsy. I'm really looking forward to your porch quilt show! Hope the weather cooperates ---"Love"

a good yarn said...

The Steampunk blocks look like they are spinning. Wish I could wing by your porch quilt show, meet you and the kitties.