Sunday, May 16, 2021

just steampunk

The week seems to have flown by, despite it seeming to drag each day.  How is that possible?

I've made a goal of sewing three steampunk blocks per day.  It's easy on days I stay home, but not so much on days I have to work.  These blocks are fairly tedious, what with the curves to be sewn, so three is about all I can handle at one stretch, too.

Where I left you last, I had nine blocks done.  I have photos to share of blocks 10 through 24, though there are a few repeated...




Those of you with an eagle eye may notice this last photo has one block from the previous photo.  Maybe that eagle eye also allowed you to notice that the grey used as the background has also changed?  When I pulled out the fabric with the larger dots, I thought I had another 2-3 yard cut in my stash.  Turns out I didn't.  A trip to the store found the same print, but of a much more brown/tan coloring to the grey.  A gross change.  So the little dots matched well enough and came home instead.



The final photo of blocks laid out singly takes me to 24.  I have sewn six more, but have been sewing later at night (I worked Friday and Saturday until about 4pm and then, after dinner, sewed these remaining six - late enough that lighting was poor for photographs, particularly the finicky purple kind), so they have just been added to the stack you see in the final photo.

Also in that final photo are parts for the three blocks for today.  I've found cutting three at a time and then sewing three at a time to be more efficient, though also a bit more tedious.  Once I'm done blogging here, that is where I am headed!

I need to decide if I want to stop at 41 and set the blocks as the pattern indicates (on point), or if I want to add a few more and set it straight.  Or if I want to add a few more beyond that and make it square.  But until I hit 41, I don't have to make any decisions.

Another decision is sashing.  While lately I've been trying to avoid it, I think this block needs it.  Initially I auditioned this bird fabric for the background alternate, but decided against it.  Would it work for sashing?


As with the number of blocks, I have some time to think on this for a bit before a decision needs to be made.  And I suppose some will be determined by how much of the three yards of new grey I purchased will be left when I'm done with blocks.

The kitties have been helpful, as always, but not much in photos this week...


...my mom made me this Halloween/fall wreath last year and before she even left, the cats were interested.  I put it on top of a high shelf to keep them out of it.  This week Finn figured out how to get 7 feet in the air to enjoy it.

Oh, Finn.  (I love him so much.)

Not much sewing to share and in the coming weeks, my yard is probably going to start getting some attention.  I think winter has FINALLY moved on?  It will lessen my time in the sewing room, but hopefully the boss returning from vacation will mean I can go back to fewer hours at work and it can somewhat even out?

Happy quilting!
Katie

5 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Nice blocks! Oh, Finn - I can see why you love him so much - ;))

Cathy said...

That picture of Finn (!😍!) - he is very photogenic, pleased with himself, and totally adorable. I love my ginger boy Alfie too! We’re all spending more time in the yard now, which is great when you’re sitting on the patio with a Margarita. When you’re weeding and pruning, not so much. Love your blocks and I think you made a good call with the new gray fabric.

a good yarn said...

Those Steam Punk blocks are fabulous. You always choose such interesting designs. I like the grey and white spot fabric. Ah Finn, you clever kitty-kat.

---"Love" said...

All those quilt blocks are pretty, and so is the fabric you're considering for sashings. However, I wonder if it might require a lot of fussy cutting to avoid cutting those cute birdies in half. Your cat really is cute, but I'd have to kill him if he got on top of my china cabinets! I have lots of glass pieces everywhere! Sorry! ---"Love"

Preeti said...

I have never tried Steampunk Blocks and how you tempt me :-) Love all the purples here, but Finn is the cutest :-)