Monday, January 18, 2016

...not quite as productive...

This past week has not been nearly as productive as the previous two.  Heading back to work after a long, fun weekend proved to be harder on me than I expected.  Not only did I have some work to catch up on (my coworkers did a good job with what they could, but there's always those little things), but it was a really busy, crazy week as well.  By 2:00 Friday, I was exhausted and very glad my work week was nearly over.

I did manage to get a little sewing done.  The elephant pieces that need trim hand-sewn down (remember the silly string?) are on the end table next to the couch, waiting for me.  It's eye-straining work (never mind that it's dark by 5pm here), but I've gotten two done.


In the previous photo of the elephant, it looked put together, but to get those pieces of trim caught in the seams, I couldn't sew them together yet.  I'm hoping the pieces go together better than my attempt at sewing the trim into the seams...

The pattern doesn't show all of the elephants with trim, but I have a yard each of five colors, so I'm going to add it until I run out.  If they all get trim, they all get trim.  If not, no worries.

And I did go purchase fabric for another quilt.  Because 3 or 4 (or more?) unfinished quilts is reason enough to buy more fabric, right?  I saw the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt reveal on the 1st and loved it.  Her fabric choices just make it seem to glow.  And I'm not really a red or gold person.  (Yes, yes, I've made a few quilts in that colorway, but I think I wore myself out on it...)  But I've been watching the posts of other finishes and have not yet seen a colorway I like better.  So off to the store it was...


I love the red.  And the gold.  But the others...well, I like the color of the grey and the black, but they seem too modern for her quilt.  I got caught up in the moment at the store and couldn't find what I really wanted, so I bought something else.  I shouldn't have, but I do like the fabrics and they WILL get used in something.

So I bought more...


I'll eventually lay them out and decide what I'll use, but I think I'm going to force myself to wait to start this one for a while.  Maybe...

And when I found the grey, black and "neutral" alternates, I also found some Marvel superhero fabric.


I have a niece who graduated high school last year and her boyfriend is graduating this year.  I offered to make a quilt with her for him.  When I found this fabric, knowing they both love superhero movies, I texted her a photo and she said "YES!", so I bought 3 yards.  Now what to do with something so busy?  I have a few ideas...we'll see where this goes...

This week at work is looking to be better than last, so maybe I'll have a little more energy in the evenings.  Though today, with a high of 15F, all I want is to go snuggle back under a quilt with my kitties and stay warm!


Happy quilting,
Katie

4 comments:

---"Love" said...

Those elephants are so cute! And the new fabrics are very pretty; like you, I think the second set of grays will be better, and I'm sure you'll find a use for all of them. Might the first grays go with the Marvel fabric?.....Just wondering. Have fun! ---"Love"

a good yarn said...

Sitting here in 37 degC heat 15F sounds appealing. Perhaps we could meet half way? Those elephants are cute - trim or no trim and you bought some great fabrics. Must check out Bonnie's quilt to see what all the excitement is about. Can't wait to see what you make wiht the Superhero fabric.

Beth said...

Cute elephants. That super hero fabric is so cute. I think I need to find some.

Marsha B said...

The elephants are adorable! All your new fabrics look yummy. I am thinking about doing Bonnie's quilt some time, it turned out really nice. I always hesitate doing a mystery in case I don't like the finished top, but this one is so pretty. Can't wait to watch your progress!