Though I didn't really do much until this weekend, I have quite a few quilty things to show today!
First, I finished sewing the hexies together, using the actual couch as a "design wall" to figure out what I wanted where:
With this photo on my phone, I sat on the couch and sewed everything where it should be and have this to show for it:
The hubby will be out of town this coming week, so I plan to get it sewn to the couch while he's absent. Maybe he won't notice? Or if it's already sewn down, he won't complain as loud? (But really, can it be any worse than what's there currently?)
I still have to figure out exactly how I'm going to get those basted edges to stay put without the papers inside...I think a good pressing should do the trick...
Two weeks ago, I was talked into quilting another charity quilt. I had said I was done with them after having so many problems with those brought to me already (backs too small, quilts not even close to square, etc.) but the gal who asked had previously brought me one that was okay, so I agreed. I got it Thursday.
...it's done (though the reds look a little orange in this photo), but not without trouble. Seems whoever cut a hunk of fabric from our bolt of backing for this quilt didn't measure quite right. I added 15" to the end of the backing to make this large enough. But not before getting to the end and realizing what was wrong, having to unload the whole thing, add the strip and re-load. I know the gal who gave me the top would be horrified she'd done that to me, so I'm not going to say anything to her, but I am CONFIDENT I will no longer be quilting for FREE for others at this point. (And probably not for pay either...I just don't have enough hours in my day, what with working full time and all...)
This quilt will also be going to the local VA Hospital for Veteran's Day.
And then yesterday, my guild had our monthly Saturday sewing day and I got to go! Though I wasn't terribly ambitious and was very easily distracted, I finally got the first blocks from Mandarin Express sewn together!
And got a good part of the second blocks finished as well!
Now before you think I did all of this yesterday, I did not. The first blocks simply needed the bottom third sewn to them and the second blocks needed a little more, but are a simpler design. But with 32 of block 1 and 31 of block two and a lot of points to match, it took quite a bit of effort. The points still aren't great, but I'm okay with it. This will (eventually) live on my couch, so it doesn't need to be show-perfect.
This next week, I hope to get a lot of sewing done. With no hubby home for dinner, I can cook simpler meals and not feel guilty spending time in my sewing room instead of with him.
But with that said, I need to attend to the meatloaf dinner I'm making and should probably go spend some time watching football with him (snore!)...