Saturday, September 15, 2012

more geese...

The quilt I just completed had a lot of geese.  So what is my next project?  Another quilt with lots of geese...ugh...

This quilt will be for my newest niece, due in late November/early December.  The baby shower is in about a month, so I'd better get going!

I spent evenings this week cutting pieces.  There are 12 blocks and two panels of applique.  Each of the 12 blocks is a little bit different.  3 pinks, 3 greens and white.  But no two pinks or greens in the same spot.


So each one is in its own zipper bag.  Doesn't make chain-sewing very easy, but I'd be pulling my hair out otherwise.  Even sorting out what's what in these bags isn't easy!

Today I dug in and started sewing.  (I thought it was my quilt group's Saturday sew day, but they moved it to next weekend...phooey!)

It's not perfect (what quilt of mine ever is?!), but I've got the kinks worked out (I hope) and should be able to get the other 11 done without too much trouble.


It's going to finish 7.25", so those pieces are small.
And I'm not going to count how many there are.
(One of these days I'm going to learn a lesson from all these itty bitty billion piece projects, but it wasn't today.)

I used the no-loss half-square triangle method again (last used in the 30's quilt) and it went well.  Better this time than last, I think, so maybe I am getting the hang of these geese?

I really like the block.  5 more will have colors placed like this.  The remaining 6 will have pinks and greens flipped.

And, since I don't have much else to share, I thought I'd get a photo of the goodies I CAN share from the two quilt shows I've been to recently.


"The Sugar Camp Quilt" by Jennifer Chiaverini bought used at the guild "garage sale"
"Swoon" by Camille Roskelly of Thimble Blossoms (I"ve been drooling over this!)
"Lollipops" by Claudia Lash of Presto Avenue Designs (just because)
"Thornton" by Patricia Pepe of Quilt Queen Designs (prettier in person)
paper pieced kitties by Mary Hershleb Designs (cute, cute, cute)
"Better Together" book by Karen Sievert (seen it before, passed it up)
and a kit for a quilt that's in "Primitive Quilts" magazine for fall

There were a few other purchases, but they will be used for Christmas gifts and I don't want to spoil any surprises.  I'll show them when I can.

And now I should get back to the sewing while the hubby has the niece and nephew (we're babysitting again tonight) out at miniature golf.  I elected to stay home.  The kids like him better anyways.  (And I'm okay with that.)

Happy quilting,
Katie

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Flying geese aren't my favorite either. In fact, most of the flying geese I've made are for sawtooth stars, which are my favorite. I guess the bag contains the kit and I would like to see what it makes up into. I have that magazine at home, I think. BTW, my little grandkids are drawn to DH in a different way than they are to me and I am fine with that. I think little ones a lot of time are drawn to men, don't you?

Merritt said...

Wow, lots of work ahead of you. Can't wait to see the finished quilt. Looks like you had fun shopping!

---"Love" said...

What a pretty block; it will be a gorgeous quilt! You know how I love pinks and greens! Looks like you are going to be busy, busy for a while with all those great new patterns, etc. ---"Love"

canuckquilter said...

Oooh, I like that block. The flying geese are worth it! I can't wait to see all 12 blocks together. Nice goodies too. Swoon is on my "want to make" list too, but I haven't gotten as far as getting the pattern yet. So many quilts, so little time...

Marsha B said...

Love your block, what tiny pieces! I am always drawn to things that are more complicated, too. This will be an awsome quilt when it is finished. All of your goodies look great, too. What fun! We just got back from our Glacier trip, so no sewing going on here for a bit, there is just so much to do.

Liriopia said...

Tussling with a gaggle of geese, LOL! (Couldn't resist that!) I don't make flying geese, I just sew together two half-square triangles. The paper pieced kitties look like fun!

Liri