Monday, May 7, 2012

just an update

I've been busy, but feel like I have a lot to show for it...

I worked a lot on the cat cross-stitch project.
Started here (pardon the wrinkles):


And a week later (with a few minor mistakes take out):


It doesn't look like much, but there are a LOT of stitches in there!

And Saturday I tackled the graduation quilt.  I kept thinking "feathers" for quilting, but I've never done them before.  Well, I tried and they were pathetic.  But since then I'd seen some videos and whatnot with better instructions, so I decided to doodle a little and see where that went.  Pen and paper went pretty well, so I decided to tackle the quilt.


I hope you can see it well enough.  It's dreary and rainy here and add in the poor lighting overall...not the best combo, but you get the idea.  For my first go at feathers, these look pretty great.  Some are worse than others (that first one at the top...yikes!), but overall I'm very pleased.  And no longer afraid of them (even if I personally don't like them a whole lot).

I'll get a full photo before I give it away.  I've got the binding machine-sewn on and the hanging sleeve on - both need the hand-sewing portion done, but I decided to work on the cross-stitch this weekend instead.  Tonight maybe?

I also have a new little niece!  Alexis was born Saturday morning and weighed 5 pounds 10 ounces (or something around there).  She was full-term (3 whole days early) and healthy, so I don't have an explanation for the small size (and the May family is known to have babies twice that size!), but we love her.  I hope to get over to meet her soon and get some photos to share.

Happy quilting,
Katie

5 comments:

---"Love" said...

I could never do pretty cross-stitch like that! I guess it is time for me to admit I'll never be able to do beautiful feathers like yours either! Great job on both! Here's a warm welcome for baby Alexis! ---"Love"

canuckquilter said...

You've made good progress on the cross stitch. Good job on your feathers too. Mine always look decent on my practice sandwiches and horrible on an actual quilt. I've picked out a lot of stitching :)

Marsha B said...

Congratulations on your new niece, I bet she is a little doll. I had big babies so wouldn't know what to do with a tiny one but she will grow fast. Can;t wait for a picture. Your feathers look great to me, I'm still afraid to try them. The quilt is so colorful, it will be a great graduation quilt. The cross stitch is making progress, too. It does take lots of stitching before it starts to look close to the finished project. You got a lot done!

Liriopia said...

I couldn't find the kitty until I enlarged the picture, LOL! Keep at it, it will turn out great!

Liri

Beth said...

Katie, great progress on the cross stitch. I have done tons of it and I know how many stitches it takes to look like progress.
Your feathers look really great for sure. I think I am too tense to get good feathers. That quilt will be loved.
Congrats on being an auntie again.
Happy stitching.