Tuesday, January 10, 2012

a problem = a decision

I have today off.
(Since I'm not full-time yet, I usually get Tuesday off.)

Into the sewing room I go!


Another 26 blocks finished.
26 to go!

Then the hubby came home and wanted to sleep, so I had to switch to something quieter.

Why not the One Thing, One Week Challenge?

My challenge to myself: cut out the owls and choose a background.


That is one big pattern sheet!  It's about the size of a newspaper when it's all unfolded!

Owls cut - check.

Lay things on the floor - check.


Uh oh.
Though the photo doesn't show quite all of the background fabric I have - I don't have enough of either for all 9 owls.

I can't get more of the top, busier fabric, so that makes my decision easy!


But just to be sure, I put the border fabrics on there and definitely think the less busy background is best.

Now I just have to go buy more background because I only have enough for 4 owls!
(Slight miscalculation?)

I'm not going to call this challenge complete until all the owls are pinned to their backgrounds.
That will make sure I don't run out before I can get more!

I also have another recipe link to share with you: Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup


Since the hubby is on an oddball diet of his own making (and preparing) and it's cold here and I want more time to quilt (and read), I'm trying to make better use of my crock pot.  I came across this recipe and thought 'why not?' and it is delicious!

(My only change was to use a whole quart of home-canned tomatoes and skip the water.  Cheese and sour cream to garnish.)

I think I'll go read for a while.  This running out of fabric has me hugely frustrated, so it's probably best I leave the scene for a while!

Happy quilting,
Katie

6 comments:

Liriopia said...

Keep the two backgrounds and add another fabric. You are going to square them up and then stitch together, right? Check out your stash!

Liri

---"Love" said...

You come up with the cutest ideas, and even when you encounter a problem, you solve it in a great way. This time will be no different, I'm sure! That soup looks/sounds delicious! Wish I had a bowl of it right now! ---"Love"

Marsha B said...

I really like the less busy background. It lets the owls take front and center in the design. I'm afraid I would not be happy until I had the extra fabric needed in my hot little hands, so I would be off fabric shopping! The soup sounds like something my hubby would love. Cheese and sour cream is the perfect garnish. Enjoy your days off while you have them!

a good yarn said...

Well done on those 26 blocks. I'm with Liri, are you sure you can't incoporate the busy fabric? Love my crockpot in winter. Love soup. Match made in heaven. ann :-)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Only 26 more blocks to go?? Make two quilts!! ;)) The owls are so cute!! I agree with Liriopia and Ann - keep both the dots and the busier one for backgrounds and add a third fabric - three owls on each of three different backgrounds - mix and match to the max. ;))

Beth said...

I was going to say the same...use both backgrounds and add another from your stash, or several more if you have small amounts of fabrics.
The owls look so adorable. Makes me want to make that quilt right now.
Great work on the log cabins.