Monday, October 3, 2011

so much to share!

First up, the big decision...geese all the way around or not?


Look close!  They are different, though I was having trouble getting it all in the photo.

There will be a skinny off-white border on either side of the geese, though I didn't unfold the fabric much, so you don't get a good idea there, either.  Sorry!

And since this stalled out, I decided to get to work again on the teen boy quilt...


...the last 24 blocks pinned and ready to start sewing...


...what a mess...those papers snarl up worse than just fabrics...


...but it was worth it!

I plan to add a green border, but after seeing it here, I'm wondering if maybe I should squeeze a really skinny grey border in there first?  (Darn it, I've already picked it up!)

And now the hubby is sleeping, so it's time to occupy myself with quieter things.

But I want to show some of the other fun I've had...

I had a birthday and my brother and his quilter wife and my parents all got me fabrics:


(Darn...another not so good photo...I think a new camera is going on my Christmas list!)

The jelly roll is "Max and Whiskers" and very cute kitties and doggies.  The "drink" is just a batch of coordinating fabrics (fat quarters, I think) but packaged so cute.  I have no idea what I"ll use either for, but I want to!

And I also bought myself a new iron...again...


I've used it quite a bit in the last 2 days and LOVE it.  I can't believe how much better it works than the old one.  Maybe the old one used to work this well, but I don't think so.  It just glides over seams (no hanging up), things come out smooth the first time and I don't have to mash it down with all my might either!  I'm so happy...and I was very skeptical after the last one I bought turned out to be no better than the one it was replacing.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.  It was a bit chilly here, but the sun was beautiful.  I kinda felt guilty being inside, but I'm not much of a fan of cold!

Happy quilting!
Katie

8 comments:

---"Love" said...

I definitely like the 2-corner effect of the geese between the narrow white borders; gives the impression (to me, anyway) that the geese are looking for an opening to get into that "cage"! *wink* I love it!
I also think a skinny gray border on the boy's quilt would set it off!
You are just having too much fun, with a birthday to boot! So belated Happy Birthday! You'll have those new fabrics "in progress" by Thursday I'd bet! Keep having fun! ---"Love"

Unknown said...

I think the geese all the way around would look great;) And, yes, a grey border on the boy quilt would look good;) What birthday goodies you got;) And the new iron...I go through irons faster than anything else in my supplies.
Happy Quilting!!

Marsha B said...

I'm on the fence, I love the geese border either way. It really sets the quilt off! I would definately add the grey border to the green and blue quilt top. It would define the center better. You got some great birthday goodies and a new iron! Happy Birthday!

Barb said...

Now that is going to be alot of geese but will look fantastic when you have it completed.

Lynette said...

Love the boy quilt, and the gray idea. I like the partial-geese border instead of all the way around. If you use that layout, you can use the extra flying geese for a cool row on the back! All the way around looks good, too, though. ;D

a good yarn said...

Happy Birthday! The 2 corner look works for me. Both quilts are fantastic! A grey border just might be the business. Terrific fabrics. It's not easy choosing a good iron. Glad to read that you are happy with your new one. Can I send my ironing over? ann :-)

canuckquilter said...

I'm partial to the partial geese border, and to a thin grey iner border on the boy quilt. Both are going to be great quilts. Happy belated birthday! Enjoy the fabrics (how nice that your family knows what quilters want!)

Beth said...

I like the geese both ways. Having trouble making choices lately. LOL.
I likr the idea of the grey border on the boy quilt...and I love the boy quilt. It is so bold and has such great graphic lines. Someone is going to love it!!
Happy Belated Birthday. Love fabrics for any occassion. I know you will find something awesome to use the fabbies for.