After much procrastination, I finally decided it was time to sew the bindings down on the charity quilts I made in June. It's about time, right? They'll be sent to the Quilts for Kids charity soon!
Judy L has a great tutorial on sewing bindings down completely by machine. It is requested that the whole quilt be machine sewn, as it gets a lot of washing at the hospital and this was good motivation to learn. It went okay - I got better as I went along, but I still like the look of a hand-sewn binding better.
(Yay finished. Boo mosquito bites while photographing.)
Right now they're in the washing machine getting a final defurring, also as requested by the charity (washing in general, not defurring specifically, but that's the issue around here). No biggie - all the fabrics have been washed before I sewed them and with a stash of Color Catchers, I'm not worried!
I'm so glad to have these done. Not bad for baby quilt leftovers, right?
The wedding is this weekend - so you'll be seeing the full debut of that finished quilt soon!
And the groom is the uncle of the new baby to be getting the elephant quilt (born Friday August 19th). That may be given at the wedding, but if not, soon after - and then it will get its day on the blog too.
But you're probably wondering what I've been doing (other than sewing those zillion inches of queen-sized wedding quilt binding down), so here's a few more photos:
Whig rose blocks #3 and 4. #3 is now complete and #4 is well on its way. All of a sudden these are going fast, but when you're just looking for a job (rather than actually going to one), you might find yourself with a little extra time on your hands... (Hi Tucker - yes, I think there's enough of your fur on that already!)
And a new fall project some of you might recognise...(and Tucker's ear again) I'll share more when I'm further along.
As for the job search, nada. Though I've visited my old workplace to see grad student presentations and had an opportunity to put a bug in the ear of former coworkers that I would like to come back, grand funding permitting. I've also been filling out a mind numbing number of applications, most of which are going entirely ignored. :(
Studying has picked up again. I got approval this week from the certifying agency that I can take my exam, so that is scheduled for the September 6th (the soonest I could get) and I'm ready to get it over with. Not so much ready with the studying part, so that's consuming much of my time, so I guess it's not all bad I don't have a job - I can properly prepare for the exam!
So there you have it - my exciting life. I hope you're all getting lots of quilty stuff done!