I suppose my last post about the cat quilt and cat rescue might have tipped anyone who is new here off to my crazy cat lady status. (Those of you who have been here longer know all about my problem.)
Salem weighed in at 7 pounds and will go in to be spayed next month. She got her first round of vaccinations and is otherwise healthy.
But we have a new problem.
I worked Black Friday and as I was getting ready to head to lunch, this guy walked in with a kitten. Now I work in a farm store, so dogs are frequent. Sometimes we get a goat or a mini pig or a kitten. This was not a take-your-pet-shopping deal. This was a dump-your-cat-at-a-store-parking-lot deal.
There is a special place in hell for people who do things like this. I'm sorry if that is too strongly worded for anyone out there, but this is horrendous.
She is small. 8-12 weeks old is my guess, but she'll be seeing the vet later today. (Second Monday in a row I've called with a new kitten and they've fit me right in. No complaints.) We'll find out how old this spazzy muffin actually is and how much she weighs, but it's not much.
She is more peopley than Salem and seems to have some separation anxiety issues. She crashed on what we call the "princess pillow" yesterday. (The hubby doesn't like it next to him on the end of the couch, so he sets it in the middle and rests his elbow on it. The cats snuggle on it next to him.)
She has more energy than the four older cats put together, I think. But she is a normal kitten and my hubby is absolutely smitten.
So we now have six cats. (She is undeterred by the hissing of the other five, so I think we're going to be okay.)
What else have I done?
I finished the center applique for the Bramble Blooms quilt along. The kitty was an idea from a few weeks ago, but seems fitting since we added Salem just last week. Maybe this quilt will be named Salem's Garden? Hmmm...guess we'll see how the rest of the quilt turns out.
I'm glad to have it done, as the next step is likely to come any time now.
I also got a call from my Saved By Zade, the folks I've sewn a lot of hammocks and catnip toys for, asking for covers for heating pads. They have rescue barn cats that are fairly pampered while waiting for a forever home, but the heating pads are getting dirty quickly with the snow and mud. So a cover that could be removed and washed is in order.
I scored some velcro at the dollar store (it's not the grippiest, but it doesn't need to be) and raided my stash for this flannel to make a test cover. I'm meeting with my volunteer later today to evaluate the project and receive a fabric donation to make more.
If anyone out there has any ideas how to make these more robust or safely water resistant, please let me know!
There are 16 heating pads in the barn, but I'll need to make at least three per pad to allow for washing and not make it be a must-do task. Unless they ask for more. If they're providing fabric, I can put in the time, no problem!
This week also included more shifts than usual at work and two Thanksgiving celebrations. I'm glad to have a day at home finally (though I have been out for groceries already and will be out a few times later, as noted above) and just relax!
Oh yeah, I also have to quilt the wedding quilt, but right now the focus around here is acclimating two new cats and I'm a little wary of how they'll behave with the noisy longarm running. I've got time to procrastinate!