Monday, July 10, 2023

less sewing than I'd like

I'd like to blame the holiday last Tuesday for my lack of things to share, but I'm not sure that's it.  But I do have a few things!

The Positivity Quilt Along has a bonus quilt and once I got some skinny (2" finished) borders on the official quilt, I started working with the bonus parts.

Sadly, I trimmed all the parts quickly and then got them onto my design floor before any photos were taken.


I labelled rows and picked this all up to work on another day.  That day was yesterday!


I have a top, but of course no photos yet.  But I'm also not sure I'm finished.  Currently it measures 34x34", which is quite small.  I know some hospital NICUs will take them this size, but I'm not sure if there are any local.  I do have some fabric I think would make a nice outer border (these blocks are all on the bias, so I did a 1" (finished) border all around to stabilize things), but unless I make the border the focus, it will still be fairly small.

Delivery of the big bin of cat hammocks took place on Thursday.


(Yep, you saw this photo last week, but it's still funny.  And it had a few more added before drop-off.)

This was the end of the fabric that came in the bin and now I'm moving on to the next set of fabrics.  Starting with a repeat, though from a different source!


My local quilt friend Carol is cleaning out her sewing room and gifted me a bunch of decorator-style fabrics (all sorts of kinds) that she no longer wants.  I'm happy to put it to use!

But never fear, I'm sure the group I sew for will turn up more fabric if I needed it!

When I met with my volunteer to hand over the hammocks we chatted a bit about new things going on with the group and she mentioned that because of my efforts (and continuing efforts) with the hammocks, they have been able to revamp their entire "maternity ward" at the rescue site and give the mamas a better place to give birth and nurse their babies.  That makes me feel wonderful and reinforces my desire to help.

In other news, I did attend the annual book sale back home, but it was disappointing.  They have been doing them about quarterly since COVID restrictions were lessened enough that they could do them.  And that means less of a crowd and crazy rush at the once-a-year sale, but it also means that there are fewer books.  Which means the probability of finding good books goes down.  I still got a bag full (28 books) which will last a while, but it just wasn't the same thrill.

No book photos.  Sorry.  I was so excited to get them into my cart, I forgot.  But if you want, here's a reference photo of my cart?


(The bottom shelf is currently empty.)

Oh well.  I know now to keep an eye out for the quarterly sales, right?

The rest of my week has been odds and ends.  Working in the garden, doing random house chores (I actually made a list one day because there were so many little things I kept forgetting - it helped!) and of course work.

This week I'm going to try to get Tiny Stars binding finished as well as bind the Tiger quilt.  And of course cat hammocks.  And figure out what to do with the bonus quilt.

Happy quilting!
Katie

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You've been BUSY as usual!! It's nice to know that your cat hammocks are appreciated - and that the group will continue to provide you with wonderful fabric. I LOVE that repeat fabric - it's such a cute print! Finn is cute - as always. I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of the "bonus quilt" - and your 28 new books - ;))

Bernie Kringel said...

Hi Katie: I haven't yet started the 'bonus' quilt but the blocks are stacked up to be made into something. I don't have much use for such a tiny quilt and plan to make a coordinating block of some sort to grow the quilt a bit.
Love the fish fabric you shared here - it is really sweet.