Monday, April 24, 2023

lots of blocks!

It's been a productive week - lots of blocks have been made and a few cat hammocks as well!

But let's go in order of my list again, shall we?

#1 - the tiger


I ran out for a bit more fabric for a border for the tiger top and snagged this for the back.  It's not as awesome as I could have imagined a back to be, but at least one of the leaves in this matches the leaves on the front.  And it's busy enough that it won't show any quilty goofs.

You can see from the quarter there that this is a fairly large print.  Also a good thing for a back.

#2 - sparrows

Nothing done on this one this week.  The quilt along has ended, but a grand prize was free longarming.  Yeah, I have one, but if someone else wants to take one of my to-be-quilted pile, I'm not going to fight them.  Of course, I didn't win, so now it's up to me, but that's okay, I just had to wait a few days to find out for sure.

This is also the Pantone challenge, which has a deadline, so I'll be revving up my longarm here soon to get this done.

#3 - cassettes


After blogging last Monday, I headed into the sewing room and completed this one.  There is one more cassette to go this week, but I also think top construction happens this week.  And that is no small task - it's not just a matter of sewing some sashings - there are stripes and whatnot.  But all is well and soon I'll have another top for the pile.

#4 - woodland wonderland

Last week I had just made some mushrooms.  Which were so cute I nearly abandoned everything and just made 1000 more for a quilt for myself.  Almost.

Instead I worked on the many, varied blocks.


This one caught my eye when I was looking at the pattern as the most likely to be a disaster.  It came out quite nicely, but it was NOT fun.


Toby is helping here - you can see his tail pointing to the pretty flowers.



I cut the red dot fabric just so I could have a little white dot on the hedgehog nose.  Maybe it makes it look more like a clown?  Oh well.  I'm not redoing it.  Those are little pieces to applique!



These were fun and I used up some skinny strips in my stash.  Some of the greens have not been used again (some cannot be - they're gone!), but it was a good use of some stash.


I think this owl must be a girl - look at those red lips!






These loaded in alphabetical order from what I called them when I saved them on my computer, so not in the order of construction.  And I'm not going to fight with Blogger to rearrange them.

You can see there are a LOT of blocks here.  Remember, these took a week to complete, so I'm not flying through things as fast as you might think just sitting there reading this!

The pattern is written a little differently than one might expect - you sew a bunch of blocks and then sew a few other blocks together with little sashing.  It was written as a block of the month type pattern, as I think I've mentioned before, so I'm sure it has something to do with fabric usage and trying not to overwhelm a person.  But it keeps giving me false hope.  I sew blocks together and think "oh yeah, I'm done making blocks now and the top is going to start to come together" and then I turn the page and have to make a hedgehog.

But I THINK I'm getting close to the end.

Except that note about "if you want to make it asymmetrical like the picture on the cover, you'll need to make 400,000 flying geese" part...

Oh well.  Good progress this week, so I'm happy.  And having fun with my box of stash to make these blocks.

#5 - tidal crossing - nothing

#6 - blockstep


While I was shopping for the back for the tiger, I wandered through the less gaudy prints and found this nice medium grey that I think will work nicely for the Blockstep quilt.  I plan to make the main part of the quilt with blues and greens, and I think this will be a nice offset for that.

And that is it for sewing.

Numbers 7-11 have been ignored.  I know they're out there, but they're not getting any attention yet.  I'll get there.

I'm feeling much better this week and worked all my shifts without trouble.  I'm still coughing some, but that is to be expected.  I always end any illness with a cough.  It's fun...not!

Time to go get sewing!

Happy quilting!
Katie

2 comments:

Carol R. said...

I finally finished quilting the top that was on Mo'e for the past month. Quilted, trimmed and bound. Now, to get some other things done in between prepping bag to take upnorth at the end of this week.
Can't wait to see the tiger quilt finished.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

WOW - that's a lot of blocks to do in one week! You're moving right along on that one! I LOVE the print you found for the back for the tiger top - the leaves are PERFECT - ;))