Monday, June 27, 2022

positivity qal and hammocks

This week, as so many before, a lot of sewing was done, but not too many photos.

After getting the layout for the Positivity Quilt Along quilt - which seems to have earned the name Twisties - I got the blocks sewn into rows yesterday.


It doesn't look like much here because I just flipped the ends of the rows up onto my cutting table (they're draped over my ironing board, mere inches from the cutting table) for a quick photo.

Maybe today I'll sew the rows together?

This isn't much quilty sewing because I did a LOT of hammock sewing.  I get to where I can see the end of the current pile of hammock fabrics and I start sewing like a maniac.  Because, you know, the end is in sight!

So, when I got to the last fabric, a roll of upholstery fabric my mom had gotten from a group she makes charity quilts with, who had no idea what to do with this fabric (it is NOT a good choice for a quilt...other than maybe a few patches in a crazy quilt), I contacted my "hammock lady."  And then started cutting the 400 yards of fabric.

Okay, it wasn't 400 yards.  More like 5, but it was about 66" wide, so it was a LOT.  And heavy.  I cut eleven hammocks and then my "hammock lady" called back.  I expected I'd have a few days to finish these.  Nope.  Tomorrow morning.

Oh, and she has more fabric if I want it.  (Apparently I am still the only one sewing - at least with any consistency - so I get the incoming fabric.  Works for me!)

Hammock construction continued, but this last set will go into the next round I turn in.


Finn found the pile after I had sewn and turned them - while they awaited top-stitching.  I moved him carefully and sewed around about three hammocks.


Then Freddie found them.  He is less easy to move, but he also was persuaded to nap elsewhere.

I suppose these hammocks have been pre-tested nicely now.  And though the fabric is slippery and stretchy and refuses to respond to anything an iron does to it and is generally a pain in the behind, it seems the boys like it.  Good.

The new fabrics came in a very large, clear plastic bin.  Finn also tested that out (when empty), but as I sew, instead of putting the newly made hammocks into a box (that I rescue from the recycling crusher at work), I'll put them back in the bin and return that as well.


(This is the new stash - after washing, so no bin photo.)

Included with this fabric stash was some batting (which I do not use for hammocks), which I believe is polyester, and will head back to the quilty group that gave me the horrid country blue upholstery fabric.  They make simple quilts and tie them for truly homeless folks.  A poly batting is perfect.

I didn't sew any of the brown blocks this week.  I just couldn't make myself do it.  But maybe now that I'm back on track with less frantic hammock sewing, I'll get to them?

Happy quilting!
Katie

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Hammocks - even with the horrid country blue upholstery fabric - sound like more fun than the brown blocks - and I think the boys agree - ;))

a good yarn said...

That’s very generous of you to make all those hammocks. Good too that they have been kitty-kat tested and quality controlled. Twisties is a cheese flavoured snack food here and my absolute favourite. It’s going to be a terrific quilt.