Monday, April 18, 2022

three blocks and a machine update

I thought I would have tops to share this week.  I got busy and forgot, but maybe this morning, right?

It

Is

Snowing

Nopenopenopenopenopenopenope.

Ugh.

So that just leaves me with the first three blocks from Seeing Stars, the third project I took to retreat.  The one that I got nowhere near because of all the curves in the second project.




That third one doesn't have a lot of contrast, but whatever.  It will be fine.

I'm paying a little extra attention to orientation, since some of these fabrics are directional.  It's going to go to a charity somewhere (haven't decided yet - and it may end up as two or more smaller quilts because these blocks are huge and I think there are 20? I can't remember...), but that doesn't mean I should do poor work, right?

In addition to these, I have FINALLY exhausted the pile of fabrics for cat hammocks.  Don't worry.  She has more for me.  (I knew you were worried.  Now you can rest easy.)

BUT.

These blocks were sewn with the new-to-me machine.  Along with a bunch of hammocks.

Guess what?

Not a single skipped stitch.

And I didn't even have to switch to longarm thread for the heavier weight cat hammock fabrics to make that happen.  It barely even noticed the thicker seams most of the time.  (I mean, when we got to like 12 layers in topstitching over the loops, yeah, a little thunk, but who isn't gonna thunk a little at that?  I was having a little trouble fighting the pins in to hold them where they should be and that was a few layers before topstitching!)

I am so happy.

Still a little gun-shy and hoping it continues to sew well.  But the hubby is on the hunt for another machine just like it.  You know, a backup.  It may take a while.  That's okay.  He can do that sitting on the couch.  You know, where he is except when he is sleeping or at work.  (Can you hear the eyerolls?)

So that's it for the week!

I will have more hammock fabric probably next weekend, which means I should be able to sew more blocks than average this week.  We'll see how that goes...

No cat photos, but I can tell you that Toby is in the window watching the snow and Finn is trying to help me type and Freddie is watching the birds on their new feeder (the old one finally gave up the ghost in the wind storm we had earlier this week, so they got a new one in with the groceries this morning).  Sorry no photos, but maybe next week?

Happy quilting!
Katie

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

NICE blocks - and yes - I'm resting easy - and I heard the eyerolls - LOL. I'm glad the boys are being good - and helping - ;))

Canuck Quilter said...

We had snow yeasterday for Easter. As you said: nopenopenopenope! I'm glad your new-to-you machine is behaving so well for you. I hope your hubby is able to find you another as backup.

Nancy said...

I really like the third block, the one with less contrast. It might not show strongly from a distance but up close it's beautiful.
I'm so happy to hear that your machine is working well. That's wonderful!
Snow is happening late this year! It was predicted for central Ohio a few nights ago but we didn't get any; but the temperatures many days have been more like early spring than mid-spring. One of these days....

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are really cool blocks!
Could you send the snow to me? I will take it off your hands!