Sunday, December 5, 2021

and yet more hammocks!

I continue to sew with the fabrics given to me to make hammocks.  Some days produced more than others, but this week on the whole feels like I got less done.
I picked up an extra shift at work (three coworkers are now out sick with the virus - none of them vaccinated), so that slowed me down even more.  But it allowed me an easy connection with the volunteer, who on short notice, ended up in the area and dropped off the innards of ironing board covers.  It's basically batting, and I plan to use it for cage mats.  Eventually.

First, I want this box of fabrics off the floor that is currently in the middle of my sewing room.  The room also houses Christmas gifts and things are getting cramped.  Possibly the extra chair (for the cats, of course) that was added in the last week is part of that problem?  But it just makes it easier to swap chairs than constantly chase a cat out of the only one.

Okay, fabrics!

I teased you last week with fabric #18 that was going to be more kennel curtains.  Those seem to take For. Ever. But I got six made out of that piece of fabric!


Maybe they don't take as long as I think, but there are lots of steps that aren't sewing.  Like running elastic through the casing.  And sewing on buttons.  Never mind all the pressing so I can hem all four sides.

With those out of the way I could move on to the next in the stack!  All hammocks from these.


Pin dots.  Bleh.  My nemesis.  This one had polyester in it, too.


I have no idea what this designer was thinking, but the kitties won't care.


Not bright, but nice enough.


Corduroy.  Thick corduroy.  My machine did NOT like this.  Anything this heavy I will reject in the future.  I had issues with skipped stitches when I got to many layers.  Not the best place for that!


This was a panel and two squares that I think were supposed to be coordinating pillows?  I fussy cut and made a fairly large hammock to make the best use of the birds.  Even if that's kinda mean to the poor kitties!


More pin dots.  This one was less annoying, but still.


Finally, this cute baby print.  Very thin.  I think a poly blend.  But soft.  Also it had been cut into smaller pieces.  So I made some very small hammocks.  I'm hoping they can be used in smaller crates maybe?

These take me well into load #4 of laundry (remember there were five), so I'm making progress.  Some days I feel like I get a lot more done than others.  But I suppose if I sew fewer, larger hammocks it feels like it goes faster than more, smaller hammocks?

I said last week I should get started on the graduation quilt, but I've made no progress there yet.  I'm kinda hopeful I'll eventually get this box out of the middle of the room and I can have that space back to lay things out.  No rush.  Yet.

The only other event of note this week was Finn going to the vet.  Just an annual visit, but since he has decided he wants to escape the cat playland, we opted to have him microchipped.  He seems none the worse for it - even his vaccination didn't slow him down, as they sometimes do.  I'm glad to have him done.  All four of our kitties come due in the fall, so it's nice when they're all done.

Time to get back to the hammocks.  Today's start is a lovely (ha ha ha ha!) pink plaid.  I'll tease you with the description and you'll have to wait until I post again to see it!

Happy quilting!
Katie

3 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Pink plaid?!?! - good grief!! - LOL - ;))

Marsha B said...

You are keeping busy! It is fun seeing all the different things you are working on to help the kitties!

Cathy said...

Wow, you’re just a sewing machine - wait, that doesn’t sound right. A hammock-making machine. I’m sure the cats appurreciate it. LOL. It’s fun to see those mostly fugly old fabrics and be glad they’re not in my stash! Hope your Holidays are cheerful so far, and hooray for having all your feline overlords vaxxed and checked up for another year!