Sunday, October 10, 2021

masks and cats

I HAVE sewn a lot this week, but don't have much to show for it...and most of what I've done is large and it is windy, so photos are difficult.  So I guess this will be a fairly quick check-in?!

First, the quilt for a friend is finished.  Last week I shared Toby helping with binding.  I've finished that and sewn on a label as well.  I intended to snag a box at work on Tuesday (freight day is always best for many box choices!), but forgot.  So that is waiting.  No photos of it yet, either, but if I did have them, I'd be saving them for after the quilt is received, just to be safe.  Hoping this week I'll remember a box.

Next, the School Bus quilt that I purchased fabrics for a few months back.  I had all the blocks sewn and ready to go, but had stalled at math.  I knew HOW to do what I needed to do, but I needed to do some math to cut the right amount of things and not waste any more than needed.  I did the math, sewed and sewed and sewed, and then decided that final outside border was not important when considering binding, so I have a top.  I made the binding, too.  It is just over 70x70, so also large and no photo.

Just in case this got boring, here is a photo of all my boys in one place:


If only Toby could get along with his sister, she would have been in the room, too.

Anyways, back to quilty stuff.

The two quilts I featured last week went out in the mail on Thursday.  Or was it Wednesday?  They aren't due to arrive until the middle of this week, but they are out of my house and off my list!  Hooray!

And tiny stars rows are all sewn.  I did end up laying out a 33rd row and sewed that as well.  Next weekend I hope to sew the rows into a top when hanging out with guild members.  I can't wait!

I forgot last week to share the new Halloween masks I made.  One for me (the kitties) and one for my boss (the dogs):


And of course, inside:


Mine looks less Halloween-y than hers, but I love it because it has my Freddie on there!  (Maybe those stars glow in the dark?  I might have to crawl in a closet again this year to find out for you!)

Upon giving the mask to my boss, she showed it to a fellow friend and dog-lover.  Who promptly asked if she could buy one.  So what's a quilter to do if they have enough fabric for three more masks?


These were a bit fussy to cut and despite my efforts, some seem better centered than others, but it's all good.  And I'm not taking money for these (or any others), so I feel less concern about perfection.  (But my boss has suggested to, as she has, make a donation to the local cat rescue in lieu of payment.  I'm good with that!)

Inside:


I chose three different fabrics that all seemed fun and coordinated mostly with the outside.  I dropped them off earlier today.

I have a list of other projects I want to start on, some for the holidays, some just because, but I have also been doing some fall cleaning.  (Like spring cleaning, just in the fall!)  To help get the upper portion of the stairwell walls, I bought a new mop.  (I know that sounds silly, but I WILL use it to clean floors, too.  I just knew the mops I have cannot be wrung out enough to not make a sloppy mess of everything, particularly on a vertical surface.)


The mop is awesome, and Finn highly approved of the box.  I pulled everything out and before I even had the mop parts assembled, he was inside.  He is my box boy, but he also (as you see in the photo above) knows how to use the softer furniture, too.

And that about wraps up my week.  I hope next week I can share Heather's quilt, as well as maybe a few of the smaller projects from my list.

Happy quilting!
Katie

PS The kitty hammocks were finally delivered (delay due to volunteer real-life troubles) and she sent me this photo later in the week:


Could that BE any cuter?!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

It sounds like you've been busy, Katie. Love those masks you made! How kind of you to make ones for coworkers.
Have you posted photos of the quilt the cats are laying on? I love the coral color of it but can't tell the pattern.
What is it with cats and boxes? Maybe a cave-like atmosphere? My daughter's cats go for boxes, too. And that kitten in the hammock is adorable!

Ruth said...

I'm getting caught up with blogs today - haven't even looked at any for at least a week. Your mask are too cute! I made some Saturday - not Halloween ones. My grandson only had one left of the ones that I had made for him, and so I made more for him - like the ones you made, plus some masks for girls. I will post pictures. The trouble is I haven't made any with adjustable elastic and I think I should. I see you used some beads. I better dig around to see if I have some - i might. BTW, my sister bought some adorable cardboard kitty houses at Aldi with cat scratchy cardboard inside and catnip. She went back and bought more to give to friends that have cats.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Cuteness overload!! - ;))