Sunday, August 1, 2021

just tiny stars

 This week hasn't been terribly busy, but I have little quilty progress to show.  Just tiny stars, in fact!







I have another set of 12 started, but my podcast ended, and I need to make dinner soon, so it seemed a good time to break for the day.

I haven't counted to see how many I have yet, but I did find my note telling me how many I will want depending on how large of a quilt I want to make.  Of course, I haven't committed that to memory, so I can't even tell you how many I want to end up with!  (I'm basically useless right now!)

The quilts that need hand sewing of binding are still waiting.  I'll get them done eventually.  (One of them has a deadline, but I'll be fine.)

But to be totally honest, this is not all I've done this week.  The group that collected the tan and blue blocks I shared a few weeks back is asking for red, white and/or blue star blocks for the months of July and August.  I decided to tackle a few, making them as a leader-ender project while making stars.  Of course, if I had started sooner, I would have more, but currently I have a single Ohio Star block half-finished.  I probably won't go as crazy as I did last month simply because my stash of true blues and true reds is limited, but a few is better than none, right?  And it uses up a bit more stash, so all good in the end.

I have had help, of course.


All of the kitties are obsessed with my wool pressing mat (to the point that I have to put it up, out of reach, at the end of every sewing session), but Finn is definitely the most obsessed.  He will lay on it, right next to a steamy hot iron.  He seems to be giving me "the eyeball" here and I'm not sure why.  Probably I was taking a photo instead of giving scritches?


Gabby was passed out, snoring, so I set her unicorn toy with her and she didn't move.  Though it is filled with catnip, sometimes snoozing is more important than catnip.  She has been extra happy lately, as the weather has been decent enough to have windows open and she LOVES to sit in the window in my sewing room and watch all the potential meals run and fly around outside.

As I sat down to type this, I realized that today is the first of the month, which means I should have drawn more sticks.  Since I finished zero of the four from last month (though one just needs the binding sewn down), I'm not as excited for the new sticks, but I have been pretty good about doing the one that includes random scraps, so at least something is getting done.  And we all hit slumps or chase squirrels, so all is well.  I haven't given up quilting or anything, just got a little overwhelmed with all the projects and had to ease up a bit.

Time to go make some dinner and slice up the zucchini bread I made earlier.  My mom sent me home with a zucchini about the size of a baseball bat, so when shredded it produced enough for two loaves.  The guys at work will be pleased, I hope.  I mean, zucchini is kinda healthy, but with all the sugar that went in, I'm pretty sure it negates the healthiness of a vegetable being in there.

Happy quilting!
Katie

4 comments:

---"Love" said...

You've done a lot more than I have~ All I've done is deal with doctors and home health people! Your little stars are looking really nice! ---"Love

a good yarn said...

I love your idea of not very busy! Given how much you usually sew, you’re entitled to was off. The star blocks are terrific. How big are they again? The kitties must have just the right place to sit and snooze. Zucchini counts. So does carrot. You can’t convince me otherwise.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Same here - you've done more than I have! All I did today was chores - and have more tomorrow - then maybe I can sew. Love your tiny stars - ;))

Ruth said...

I don't remember if you told us what you are going to do with all those stars! I'm sure it will be fantastic! They are so cute! But I'm not sure I would want to make them though. I have a really good recipe for zucchini/chocolate cake. In fact, I have a zucchini in the refrigerator waiting to use in said cake. I also have a recipe for zucchini bread, but haven't made one of those lately.