Sunday, July 18, 2021

lead head and cat hammocks

This week has not been terribly productive.  And not just on the sewing front.

Let's start at the beginning.  It started out promising...

Monday I met with a friend at the local quilt shop to use their (small) classroom to determine a layout for a wedding quilt she is making.  In years past, we would have done this at our guild's monthly sew-in, but those continue to be postponed.  The space there is larger, and often more members show up for input, but it is what it is.


As it turns out, a few other members did join us midway through the process, as they were invited to lunch with us.  Being vaccinated, I was okay with that.  This is most of the quilt - another row is pinned to the wall on the left.  It's going to be a huge king and the pattern was from All People Quilt, but I didn't get the name.  Barb always uses beautiful fabrics and this was no exception.

We had a great time fussing over the blocks, admiring the fabrics and chatting about all the things we've missed out on in the past year.  Lunch afterwards was also a fun time, but I was pretty worn out by the time I got home.  Peopling at work is a lot different than peopling with friends!

On the way home, I stopped for a new cat scratcher.  There is one in my sewing room, but it is on the small side for our kitties (the platforms are more kitten sized than cat) and I've been wanting to replace it.  I found an interesting corner scratcher and assembled it up in the room.  Gabby wasn't sure about me being turned loose with a screwdriver, though!


She makes such great faces!

(The scratcher was only three pieces plus a brace for the back, and went together just fine.)

Tuesday I went to work and worked my tail off.  I had coordinated with a gal at the local rescue to pick up the cat hammocks from me there, but since my boss is not so great at scheduling, we had more cashiers than registers, and being the most seasoned of the group, I was pulled away onto the sales floor to do freight and recovery duties.  As such, I missed her, but the hammocks are where they need to be, so all is well.

Wednesday I was exhausted.  Again, the tasks at work on Tuesday were more than average, so I was more tired than usual.  But I did manage to get some borders on the two dolly quilts I started, using my July sticks leftovers assignment.  (I guess I didn't take any photos of them at that stage?)  I'm sure I did more, but can't remember what.

Thursday the hubby was off work.  He had an extra day off this weekend for having worked last weekend, so we ran a few errands, but I got home and was so tired I ended up crashing out on that yellow chair you see Gabby sitting in above.  My throat was a little dry-scratchy, but I thought two days in a row of peopling more than usual might be the cause.

Short version here: Friday morning it was worse.  Saturday the sore throat was replaced by head and some chest congestion.  I was scheduled to work, but did not.  No one likes a sick coworker.  Today my head feels like it is full of lead, but as the day wears on, the lead seems to be dissipating.

This morning, I got up to do chores.  There are only so many days my hubby will let me lie around being sick before he gets feisty, and there were chores he just won't do that were getting necessary.  I thought getting up and doing them would help.  Turns out the nap following chores helped more.

And so I went up to quilt the dolly quilts I never took photos of...


Just using my walking foot here, but it was giving me fits.  I'm very tempted to look into a new machine.  It has been misbehaving with a lot of things lately, and just general sewing should not be this difficult.  (The walking foot has its own issues, but this goes beyond that.)  I'll have to do some pondering there, but since the hubby just spend a LOT of money on a PlayStation 5 (more than I'm sure I've spent on ALL my sewing machines (longarm not included) in my lifetime), so maybe I should get a new toy, too?

Anyways, these are intended as donations for kids who will probably not understand that they are special, so I'm not too worried about show-quality workmanship.  I wrestled two of them through the machine, each finishing about 17", and sewed down the binding.


I still need to hand-sew down the other half, but it feels good to have these done.  The remaining scraps have been placed in the stash and that box is empty.  Actually, it's been broken down for recycling!

And as I've sewn, my head has cleared quite a bit.  I'm very glad, but still have maybe something more like cobwebs in my brain now.

A few of you were asking about how I make the cat hammocks, so I thought I'd share that here as well.

The sizes of the hammocks were given by the rescue group.  I'm not sure how they determined them and will not share them with you, as other groups may have other size cages or needs.  I would guess they are probably the same width as a cage or crate, but not as deep.  The loops add a little width and help them hang down, but I can't say for sure how they calculated them.

1. Cut two rectangles (or squares) of fabric to the desired size plus ONE inch. 

2. Cut strips of fabric for loops - 6" per loop - at desired width.  (I used a 1" bias tape maker and cut the strips 1.75" as directed.  You'll want a sturdy strip in there, so double-fold bias tape, top-stitched shut, will work nicely.)

3. Place loops 1" from edge on short sides (if not square), with 1/2" sticking out of seam.  (This photo is of an earlier model in my efforts, so it doesn't stick out as much, but trust me, more is better!)  This should result in about 2" loops.  Well, 4" loops, but only 2" long.  Make sense?


4. Sew, right sides together, using 1/2" seam allowance, leaving about 5" open for turning.  Back-tack over loops, giving three layers of stitching in those spots.

5. Turn right side out, poke corners out as well as possible, and press.  You'll want to press these so you can top-stitch the edges.  This will require a little fabric shifting, as those sewn seams don't want to turn and lie flat.

6. Top-stitch all the way around, back-tacking anywhere you stop and start, about 1/8" to 1/4" in from edge of fabric.  (This is where that wide seam allowance is handy!)

7. Where loops are, create an "X" of top-stitching over the inner portion of the loop.  (Initially I did this by going back over it after I had gone around with the top stitching.  Later efforts, I realized if I stopped after I went over the loop and then turned to make the "X", I ended up on the starting side and was able to give it a second round of stitching.)



I hope that makes sense to those of you asking!  It is by no means a technical accounting of what I've done and I made up a good portion as I went along, using skills gained from making pillowcases and masks in the past.

And because I have no photos of my own, I stole a few from the rescue group's page to show you what the hammocks look like in action!

photo credit: Saved by Zade

And with a lucky kitten:

photo credit: Saved by Zade

As you can see, this kitty looks quite pleased with herself (himself?) to have such snazzy digs.  My understanding is that it gives them a comfy place to hang out, but can also provide a respite for momma cats who are nursing.  Sometimes it is necessary to keep momma and babies in a crate together, all the time, so momma has no break.  If she can climb up into a hammock, she can take a little snooze and recharge.  Kinda like those moms in commercials who locks themselves in pantries to eat a candy bar!

I also know that some of these will see little use before they are thrown out.  The kitties this group rescues are often in bad shape and many body fluids will be deposited onto whatever is put into the crate or cage with them.  Sometimes it is just easier, and safer, to toss these things out than wash them and possibly contaminate other resources the volunteers have.  I went into this project with full understanding of that, and accepted it without trouble.  I know my work needs to be quality to keep the kitties safe (the group specifically requested things like old towels not be used, as the little loops can catch claws), and if it only helps one kitty for one day, that will be enough for me.

If you are interested in making these, I would suggest you contact your local shelter or rescue groups and ask how you can help.  It may be they just need fabric.  Or maybe they don't do hammocks and would rather have cage mats.  If you want to help, I'm sure there is a group out there that will work with you and your abilities, because fostering is just the tip of the iceberg with animal rescue groups.

With that, I should start thinking on how tomorrow will proceed.  With the lead leaving my head, perhaps I can get something of substance done tomorrow?  I sure hope so.  I'm getting annoyed with my layabout lifestyle!

Happy quilting,
Katie

4 comments:

a good yarn said...

Glad you are feeling better (the vaccine working perhaps?). Gabby is such a beautiful cat although looking a little perturbed at your construction efforts. The wedding quilt is stunning. It looks like jewels. Sweet little dolly quilts too. I think you might well be entitled to a new machine. Thanks for sharing images of the cat hammocks in use. Much nicer for the kitties not to have to sleep on the cold stainless steel (I know it’s the most hygienic surface and easy for the rescue staff to clean).

---"Love" said...

Sounds like you had a rough, busy week. Hope you are feeling better after all that! In spite of everything, you accomplished some nice things. My son was off work all last week with the crud; he feels better now and will go back to work tomorrow. ---"Love"

Cathy said...

Thanks for showing us the cat hammocks! Our local shelters have bigger, more open cages and use the kennel quilts. But I can see how perfect a hammock is for those metal cages. It’s great that you help our furry overlords. Oops, I mean friends. Take care of yourself as best you can!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Busy week with a lead head sounds awful - I'm glad you're feeling better. Thanks for the hammock info - it's nice to see them "in action". If you're getting annoyed with your layabout lifestyle - it may be time for a walkabout - LOL - ;))