Sunday, July 19, 2020

mid-year roundup and more

In my last post, I promised a collage photo of all the quilts finished so far this year.  So we'll start there and then move forward with what I've been up to since last week!


The first six (working from left to right, top to bottom, as one would read a book) are finishes from Project Quilting.

The next seven are finishes for my one-per-month self-challenge for charity.

And the last three are quilts that were made for and given to family or friends.

As you know, more than this were given to charity last month, but those were not all finished this year.  But this does seem like a lot to have finished.  Some were started last year and only quilted this year, but others were started and finished already this year.  (It hardly seems half the year has gone by, but many of my days go fast.  I hear a lot of folks saying the days drag along, but since the biggest change to my life was MORE hours at work, life did not change as drastically for me as it has for many others.)

So what have I completed in the last week?

With my completion of the Bear's Paw top last week, I was motivated to sew more of the dreaded long seams.  My Christmas stars quilt was at a point that all I needed were two borders.  It seems crazy that such a simple task can cause me to stall out completely, but the finished top (that I love) motivated me to just keep sewing.  So I did.


Grumbly quilt holder helped again here, as it was just windy enough that the clothesline was not an option.  (The porch is more sheltered, so the wind is less than the open area of the backyard.)

The border looks pink from a distance, but I assure it is red with white dots and looks a lot better up close.  But really, I don't mind the contrast here either.  And I cut binding strips from the black-and-white sashing fabric, too!

And then it was back to the leader-ender project I started in April.  I honestly intended for the blocks to end up here:


I had enough to make eight blocks, which meant I was going to have to figure out something for a ninth, but that was okay.  It wasn't going to be large (about 32"), so I was kinda frustrated there, but was willing to let it be.  It could be a baby quilt and be large enough.

I debated embroidering something in the solid squares here, but couldn't find anything I liked.  I also considered embroidering something larger for a center square and then I remembered some leftover large printed flowers from a quilt I made my niece, Adrian, a while ago...


How perfect is that?  (There were two more flowers, but both were mostly pink, and as this quilt has zero pink in it, they did not fit as well.  A little yellow is good with me!)

So I carefully cut the flower (I had only one, so no room for error!) and pieced together the blocks.


Of course, I had help in the many permutations of the layout before I got here...


She cannot miss an opportunity to roll around on a quilt and replace the furs I have painstakingly removed with the lint roller!

But then the quilt started talking.

It wanted to be bigger.

It needed some borders.  With maybe leaves.

And then maybe some 9-patches.

But wait.

Circles in that first border.

Dots.

DOTS!!!!

So I dug through my stash, looking for any fabrics left over from the original quilt, but also some that would play nice.  To bring in the yellow.  And supplement for where the original fabrics are no longer available.  (I should have taken a photo of my stack of fabrics...)  I also had to supplement yet another black/grey for background.  But it's all playing nicely together.

Wanna see?


I have been busy hand-appliqueing the circles down.  I actually have the large ones done, but there are smaller circles going in the centers of each of these.  The hubby offered that they look like fried eggs.  He is very helpful.  (But I guess at least he is not putting fur on things?!)

I did the math to make sure this border will make it easy for the next border to be 9-patches.  I haven't cut anything for that, but since it will be random, I can't strip-piece anything.  This will take a while, but I'm having fun.

And there will be at least one more border after that.  I might do leaves.  I might do single, small circles.  Or maybe the quilt will holler again and let me know what I should be doing.  For now, with no other quilts needing to be worked on, I'm content to let this one do its thing.

My hope now is only that this will be large enough for a good-sized throw.  I kinda like to make them square, but perhaps the leaves applique border needs to be just on two sides, making it rectangular?  All I know is that this quilt sure has a voice and is not afraid to speak for itself!

I also got a surprise package from my aunt a few days ago.  I keep forgetting to upload a photo, but she sent me the CUTEST cat fabric.  Out of the blue!  Those are the best surprises, but now I want to figure out something super special to use it for...

Time now to head towards bed.  The hubby has flipped to third shift and gets home around 6:30 in the morning.  I've been trying to get up early at least a few days a week to join him at the gym...I've become a bit too sedentary for my liking and the pants are letting me know about it.  So a little extra calorie burn is good for me, now that the gyms are allowed to be open again.  (Fingers crossed they remain so, but I also understand the health concerns, so I put my faith in policymakers to make the best and right choices.)

Happy quilting!
Katie

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh I like where this quilt is heading!!!
So much fun to watch you create and build !

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Me, too! I like watching you make your quilts - and your helpers - and your DOTS!! - ;))

Preeti said...

I member some of the quilts from the collage. I remember loving the Hunter Star!!! The turquoise blue flowers with 60 degree angles is spectacular. And the macaroons quilt is just so yummy :-)
I am loving (need a new word) where your current project is headed. I cannot think of a single thing that I do not admire. The center flower is the perfect center of attraction. That is the whole fabric, right? You did not fussy cut and applique it? I am sure you will be guided by the quilt beautifully - furry and hairy distractions notwithstanding.
I understand the need to exercise. I stepped out at 6:00 this morning. It was 80 degrees and felt like 84. YIKES!!! And yet I did it. Because it is only going to get worse after that. I don't like exercising but I feel so powerful once I have done it.

---"Love" said...

You have had a really busy year of quilting in addition to working and everything else you do. It's been fun reading about each one as they progressed, and that last one on your post today is going to be fantastic! For retreat coming up very soon, I've been doing a little prep work that has been really fun, and that has almost worn me out. I don't know how you do all you do every day! Just keep on as long as you are able; it's no fun having to slow down! ---"Love"

a good yarn said...

Lots of good quilts in your collage and I'm looking forward to seeing a close of the Christmas quilt and its borders. As for your Leaders & Enders - "well, that escalated quickly!" That centre flower is such a good match and the dotty border looks fantastic (you've always loved anything dotty).

Marsha B said...

All your quilts are wonderful, I like each and every one! I also like where this new project is headed. The center flower is so colorful and I love the dark background! I would love to pick a favorite but I can't, they are all so nice!

Nancy said...

Wow, you've finished a lot of quilts this year, Katie!
I am fascinated by your Christmas stars quilt and the fact that the points extend into the grey/charcoal/black border. This is a beautiful and striking quilt. And I always love red and green together.