I finished the yellow blocks for the rainbow scrap challenge this week!
look both ways
Many of these used non-template construction, so they went much faster than some of the other color blocks. But that last one...yikes! Tiny, skinny, pointy pieces. It came together okay, but I wish I hadn't cut the sciencey fabric upside down - if I'd paid a little more attention...but I didn't catch it until it was sewn and I wasn't un-sewing those tiny pointy pieces and doing it again!
Let's see them all together!
With all of these finished, I was free to find other projects. In my last post, I'd mentioned about the cats for Emma's Plan. I said I was going to make a few. And then said I'd probably fail at restraining myself...
I started out thinking I'd make 30 cats. That's enough for one quilt. Maybe I'd even sew it together? But then I started pulling fabrics and extra colors kept jumping into my piles. I couldn't sew them all (they protested, though) and ended up with 40 fabrics.
I have no self control.
I had a chunk of white grunge left over from this month's UFO, so I thought that would be perfect. I thought I had enough.
So I started cutting...
And then I started sewing...
And then math. Failed. I didn't have enough white. I had to buy an extra quarter yard, but since I'd bought it locally, it wasn't hard to get more. But it just made me angry. Also, I cut some pieces wrong, so maybe I would have had enough if I hadn't done that. (Probably not.)
So I have the cats mostly done and was hoping to mail them out today, but nope. They're not done.
With this at a standstill, I decided to see what I could shake out of my stash for the hockey team quilts. Would you believe I have NO gold? The blocks should be greens, gold, black and white. I managed to find some fabric that was kinda goldish tan and used that. I made just four blocks and a friend also made four, so when I get the cats done, I'll pack everything up and head to the post office for just one trip.
Then I pulled a few more fabrics for another project that I'll share later...but I'll share the fabric pull!
(they look a little washed out in the photo, but the sun was shining yesterday and I'm not complaining!)
Today I spent most of my day sewing with my quilt guild. Usually I only get to go on Saturdays and feel I'm missing so much. It was fun to sew with them today and know I get to go back tomorrow! We have a large stash of donated fabric (some nice, some not so nice) and a group has been working on cutting it into kits for a specific quilt. A member found this quilt, called "Twist and Shout!" on Pinterest and shared it with us. (This one has me a little worried the way it's shared on a blog, but it's a pretty slick way to get blocks on point...) One of the tops:
These went together fairly well. We had a few issues with getting strips sewn together correctly, due to a lacking design floor/wall, but it's a pretty nice pattern and, as you can see, turns into a nice size quilt even without borders.
We'll be back again tomorrow, sewing more! They cut 17 kits and we finished tops 4 completely and have at least two more ready for slicing and dicing, plus about five more in progress.
And now back to the laundry...