Saturday, April 15, 2017

this and that

In my last post, I promised updates on the other things I've been sewing.  Today was a fun day sewing with guild members and I got another Arcadia Avenue block done.  Just one, but there was a lot of talking, eating and shopping to do, too, so it's a miracle I got even one done!


This is #7 and the pieces were cut for #8 a few months back.  This was a good project to take today because I had uninterrupted time to sew.  Well, sort of...better than at home...

This one came out rather well and gave me no trouble.  Compared to some of the other blocks for this quilt, this was an easy one!

Moving back a little bit, I have finished a dolly quilt for April!


Before trimming, the zig zag pattern made the top a little irregular, but never fear, a little trimming and it became a nice, square quilt!


And for whatever reason, despite my efforts, this quilt turned out about 15" square, too.  Seems I can't manage to make any dolly quilts bigger this year.  I keep trying, but I guess my math is bad?

Moving back a little further yet, the block swap box this month contained this beauty of a block:


Cindy included a jelly roll of the prints (what looks light blue on first glance is actually a print, also) and cut strips of the grey.  I made two more blocks for her, but don't want to show them.  Though she knows exactly what was in the box when she handed it over, just exactly how we combined the fabrics will remain a mystery until she gets it back in a few more months!

And last but not least, I fell off the wagon for fabric purchases about a week ago.  I'd been loving the Bird Seed quilt by Tula Pink for quite a while.  Every time I see it come up on Pinterest, I drool a little.  I'd looked for kits a while back with no luck.  I finally did enough digging to find out why - the pattern is free...and the fabric is out of print.  But I got a bonus last week, so why not spend a little on myself?


This is Moon Shine, also by Tula Pink.  I found it on Etsy and paid a little higher price for the fact that you can't get a whole fat quarter bundle hardly anywhere, but I love every bit of it and can't wait to start on the quilt.  But I'm being good for now and trying to finish up a few other projects first (ahem, Arcadia Avenue, ahem).

But while I was shopping, Tabby Road (also by Tula Pink) fell into my cart...


Some of these prints...I couldn't not have these...


I have no idea what I'm going to make with these fabrics...hence the falling off the "no more buying precuts without a plan" wagon, but really?  Polkadotted cats?  Cans of cat food?  Who can resist!

And then I went to a local quilt shop last Saturday and had to buy a little of this.  Because ninjas.


I have no idea what I'm going to do with this, but ninjas.

I think that's all I haven't caught you up on, but I'm sure as soon as I hit "post" and shut down the computer, I'll think of something.  In the meantime, I've got to get back into the kitchen.  My assignment for Easter dinner is dessert.  And my mom's birthday is Monday, so instead of my traditional cheesecake, I'm making a German chocolate cake, which I believe is my mom's favorite.  I also bought candles shaped like numbers to add to the cake.  I'm not sure she'll be impressed, but I'm fairly certain my brothers and dad will get a good kick out of her sparkly orange fire holders!

Happy quilting,
Katie

6 comments:

Lynette said...

Haha!!! The ninjas!! :D Sending wishes for a nice Easter day. :)

---"Love" said...

That Arcadia Avenue block is very striking! It's gorgeous! I had not seen that pattern before, or maybe it is just the color that brought it to my attention; anyway, I love it! Your doll quilt is cute too. Just one question about your shopping: Did you also purchase more plastic tubs to store that haul of pretty fabric in? I'd have to if I bought that much more! ---"Love"

a good yarn said...

That's a fantastic block! Is it paper pieced? I can see why you fell off the fabric wagon - Tula Pink designs such lovely fabric and that Spotty Cat fabric is right up your alley. I get the ninjas. I bought the cookie cutters to make ginger ninjas. Cute dolly quilt (really like the binding fabric).

Marsha B said...

Your Arcadia Avenue block looks complicated and you did a really good job putting it together! It is very pretty. The dolly quilt is very cute, love green and purple together. How big are you aiming to make the doll quilts? The swap block block is interesting, I'm hoping to see it when your swap is all finished. All of your fabrics are so pretty, the kitties are adorable and the ninjas are so cute, too. You will have fun with these. Mmmmmm, German chocolate is my favorite cake too, always my birthday cake. If you have any leftover, you could send me a slice! LOL

Sandy said...

Don't you just love the precision that you can achieve with paper piecing. Those Arcadia Avenue blocks are starting to add up, and they are beautiful. All of your new fabric is adorable, too. I see some cute kitty themed projects in your future.

Barb said...

All of your fabrics made my mouth drool..... the first block I love love love